CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    Conventional Reel on Spinning Rod
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conventional Reel on Spinning Rod
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
Hi Guys,

Is there any damage to the line or the reel by using a conventional reel on a spinning rod?
The only light rod I have is a spinner. My spinning reel is history and I am saving up for a nice one. In the mean time I've been using a Penn Jigmaster.

Thanks,

Posts: 33 | Registered: 07 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Rods are built with a spine such that they are meant to bend one way. Using a spinning rod with a conventional reel will result in bending the rod against the spine. It can break more easily.

Posts: 304 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
The rod breaking because of the spline on the wrong side of the blank is one of the least worriesome issues when using a spinning rod with conventional reel IMO. The biggest problem I see would be the guide placement on the spinning rod. With conventional rods the guides are placed in a way that the line cannot come in contact with the blank when the rod is fully loaded up (fished up to or just past its max line rating). With spinning rods this is not a problem because the line runs along the bottom of the blank but not so with conventional rods. If your going to use a conventional reel on a spinning rod load up the rod and reel with line going through the guides at the max drag you will use for that setup and see if the line comes into contact with the blank, if not you should be ok. On the other hand the guides themselves may have a issue depending on the drag pressure used. Spinning guides are made to hold onto the rod with a pulling away from the rod force applied to them where as conventional guides have a pushing force applied to them. When you load up the rod just make sure it does not look like the guides will get bent with the drag you will be using and it should be good for a couple of trips until you can pick up another reel.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bebopsax:
Hi Guys,

Is there any damage to the line or the reel by using a conventional reel on a spinning rod?
The only light rod I have is a spinner. My spinning reel is history and I am saving up for a nice one. In the mean time I've been using a Penn Jigmaster.

Thanks,

Posts: 1 | Registered: 10 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
the rod is breaking because you use it in a wrong way The biggest problem I see would be the guide placement on the spinning rod because their is a best conventional reels for bottom fishing

Posts: 1 | Registered: 18 April 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post