New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penn vs Shimano
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
On one of the other posts, Chark referred to IFGA and what he is seeing on the racks of the boats now. It reminded me of 15 years ago when the most common question for purchasing a reel was “Penn vs Shimano.” Racks typically were just one or the other. Yes, there was the occasional Newell or maybe an “accurized” Jigmaster.

Today, there is an amazing array of reel choices from companies like K2, Daiwa, Avet, Accurate, and Shimano. Even further, based on the color of the reel you can tell the store where a person bought the reel.

If you had to choose between only two companies reels, who would you choose between today?
My vote would be Daiwa vs Accurate.

Posts: 54 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Speaking of colors, don't forget that Charkbait is an official "Penn Custom Color Shop" location, and can create solids or any combination [frame, spool, sideplate] of 7 different colors of Internationals [and Torques soon].
One of my favorite pastimes on travel days is taking "reel inventory" of everything onboard [I know I'm weird], and the database I've built up over the past 35 years is substantial.
Whats most amazing in the past 3 years has been the proliferation of super high-end spinning tackle aboard long-range boats.
Just to clarify, K2 does not make reels [just ski/board/skate products], although they are a division of Jarden.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve Carson,

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Jan, 2007 Shakespear/K2 buys Penn. Aug, 2007 Jarden buys K2. Hard to keep score...

Posts: 54 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
It would be Penn vs Avet . I never have problems getting Penn parts or servicing the things that I can't fix . Avet are sweet reels almost out of my price range . I have never had any problems with service or getting parts . Both reels are easy to sell on the used market and retain their value . Bottom line is dependability and the most bang for your buck .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CJL:
Jan, 2007 Shakespear/K2 buys Penn. Aug, 2007 Jarden buys K2. Hard to keep score...

The first announcement of the dissolution of K2 Corp. and its acquisition by Jarden was April 2007, so the partnership existed in reality only for a few weeks, more than 5 years ago.
It's been extremely stable since that time with Jarden as the ownership.
Also part of that monumental Sporting Goods Industry re-boot were brands like Coleman Camping, Stearns, Hodgeman, etc, etc., heck, even Rawlings Baseball was part of it.
What its done for Penn is give them a strong influx of R&D resources which they never had before.
The past 18 months has seen Penn bring out 51 new reel models [more coming later this year!].

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I really don't think we can limit our choices between two product lines. Too many companies making high quality reels.

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I agree, Pedro! service after the sale is paramount for a favorite reel!

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
My two are Accurate and Penn.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 29 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post