CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    Shimano Reels and Charkbait
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shimano Reels and Charkbait
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Why doesn't Charkbait sell Shimano reels? I am intersted in buying a Shimano Talica Lever Drag 2 Speed. Model TAC25II. I have a lot of questions before I buy but don't know if they will get answered on these boards since Charkbait doesn't sell these reels. I came to Charkbait in hopes that they would have it for sale here.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 01 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Chark does't appreciate Shimano's anti-competitive pricing rules.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Can I still get my questions answered here on the Shimano TAC25II reel? Which would be the proper forum her for this? It has to do with hollow braid and mono and reel capacity.

Crew
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and post your question. Just because Chark doesn't sell them doesn't mean you can't ask. There are alot of folks on the forum that may have the answer.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Very much appreciated.

Captain
posted Hide Post
I don't sell heroin, but you can ask about that on Allcoast as well, Oh Crap, I am soooo bored right now!!!!!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Methinks Chark wants to drive all the other tackle shops out of business with his crazy good service, best prices and free stuff. If you buy Shimano anywhere the price is always the same.

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Shimano claims 700 yds 80# braid w/short topshot.

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SDTuna09
posted Hide Post
Shimano is what it is in the marketplace...

Chark is the owner and proprietor and has made a business decision that he chooses not to biz with that company. His sand box his choice.

I started off with Shimano star drags and still have them in my tackle bag of reels.

Plenty of info here and other boards so ask away.

SDTuna

Posts: 248 | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
I myself have companies tell me the same shit. You HAVE TO SELL at this price.

Look here mother F****!!!! When I BUY IT AND IT IS PAID FOR therefore sitting in MY store, for sale by myself personally, and I have NO contract with you, do not try to tell me what I have to sell for.

I had some idiot threaten to have me black listed in the distributor industry. Once I told him that was illegal, he then said he could do whatever he wanted.

Hahahahaha My PARTNER IN MY GUN STORE on the other line chimed iun, introduced herself as my " Partner, My Wife and the CO. Lawyer " she then recited commerce law to him and informed him that since he just threatened a Lawyer, he would be in deep, deep poo poo financially if he did pursue such a tragic ideology .

He beggeg off and hung up. I have no problems selling any product at any price that I want.
I REFUSE to sign contracts that state as much.

There is a Federal Law against " Price Fixing " and i will not violate that or circumvent that law with a Contract.

Shimao is a major abuser of these tactics, that is why Chark doesn't deal with them.

Then, Chark also had listed a picture of a Shimano side by side with a Daiwa I THINK in pieces to show the vast difference in parts and integrity.

Shimano was much lower in quality and much higher on the price.

Posts: 893 | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
For those not keeping score, On June 28, 2007, the Supreme Court held that vertical price restraints as Minimum Advertised Pricing are not per se unlawful but, rather, must be judged under the "rule of reason." Thusly, price fixing is legal.

While I am pissed at the evil bike company, take a minute to look at products from all vendors on several sites. Notice a theme with the prices? Yup that is good ol' fixing where the invisible hand is giving us the finger!

Almost all manufacturers are aggressively trying to protect price points on their products for brand reputation and profit. They are also trying to protect brick and mortar stores against the evil on-line establishments physical advantage. These are not necessarily bad things, but they hurt the consumer and retailer.

As a consumer, you have options. First is to shop with stores that still believe in free trade. In some cases, this will lead to a store being unable to carry certain products. But, it does make a difference.

Second, when you choose to not vote or keep voting in the same representatives, this is what you get. Take the time to choose a quality candidate. This isn't about party lines, it is actually taking time to know who you are voting for and their views. Don't watch the TV ads, read and know voting histories and their opinions. Then actually show up to vote.

Finally, The DOJ and FTC regulate price fixing and handle complaints. Take an hour out of your day to write them a letter about this problem. CC it to your representatives. Do it again in six months, and again, and again. That is the only hope we have to deal with this problem.

Posts: 54 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Very well stated. Something happened during the late 1990's bringing back "fair trade" in terms of the price fixing - something that was knocked out of the market in the 1970's. That was reinforced 2007 in a nebulous manner by the Court as you indicated. Value added is a work-around we've tried to employ, and ultimately that was what peeved the bike-maker with us.

It's less about protecting brick and mortar dealers, in my opinion, than it is about protecting manufacturer's profitability and eliminating the laws of supply and demand from the selling price equation. Once supply and demand are taken out of the picture, a firm has a free hand to import more goods and dump 'em in the market essentially forcing a retailer who's been induced to over-inventory (often by extended payment terms) to PUSH the crap out of gear that otherwise would be uncompetitive at the MSRP price. Shimano is most guilty of that sin. As a result, you have inferior goods getting pushed beyond what the market should allow. That is why folks such as Avet have had a harder fight for counter space than they should given the quality and price of their product. The dumping/price fixing game ultimately hurts consumers, hurts efficient retailers, and lessons the competitive spirit that brings forth innovation.

So much for economics lessons, now back to fishing!

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1524 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post