Find
Notify
Tools

Cousins Tackle
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Chark or crew:

Are you guys considering carrying Cousins Tackle? I've seen it around the past year, so was wondering if this is something that we would be seeing in the store.

Thanks,

Posts: 7 | Registered: 05 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
We've been watching them, have given some consideration. I've got a couple basic reservations about the company, have not spent time to really evaluate the product line. First off, one of the owners owes me a bit of $ from a previous association. He used to build rods for us, essentially used my money to pay off prior debts (that's my opinion since he never completed work for us, nor returned components we purchased for building our rods, and that was a well known trait until they got hold of an investor's money and started their business - Cousins Tackle). That past debt gets taken care of before any serious discussion about the line. Secondly, their price was way out of line initially, that may change over time as they get closer to reality. And, lastly, we'll need some assurance that they'll be around well beyond the time when the investors money runs out. Not sure what staying power they have beyond the initial investment of capital. A warranty is only as good as the firm making it...

Here's the rub, given the sale of Seeker and lack of production from both Seeker and Calstar this past summer, truth is we might have given some serious consideration towards the line. We prefer the USA built rods (no phenix here nor shimano), and Cousins fit that profile. But, the past needs to be taken care of in order to look towards the potential future. Frankly, I'm betting on United Composites for the future. With Randy Penny there, production will not be an issue and UC's range of blanks and technology (Dual Helix...) was always superior in my estimation of all other firms. All they needed was a local owner/operator and time...money helps too. I'm a big believer in the product, have been for a very long time. That's why we are having specific blanks custom produced. We have several models of UC rods at our shops now, all custom built and all priced aggressively simply because we want to get these out among the more active anglers and build a "buzz" about the brand. They make great stuff, make them here in CA, and are in a great position for the future.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Mark:

Thanks for the reply.

I was at a tackle show a while back and the person from Cousins kept pointing out to people that they were the ones that started Seeker.

I did a little research and I found that Seeker didn't take off until the people from Cousins were out of the picture and Randy Penny showed up. So I wanted to see if you were going to carry them since I only buy tackle at Charkbait =)

Posts: 7 | Registered: 05 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
One of the cousins was involved in setting up Seeker's old factory (setting up the equipment) - just one, that part of the story is correct. But as you mention Randy was the guy who made things work and moved Seeker forward. I'm just skeptical long term on the brand. That could change, but I'm doubtful. I have more faith in the UC line, that's what I've been fishing primarily for several years time.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post