CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    How many oufits are necessary?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many oufits are necessary?
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
In regards to live bait outfits. Are numerous rigs with various line poundages necessary for small to mediums size fish? Or is it possible to use one 50lb outfit and just use lighter leaders as necessary.

Posts: 37 | Registered: 14 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
depending on length of the trip.
sometimes the rod and,or reel can go sour and a back up is required.( lost time fixing when you can go fishing with a backup rod).
maybe a bit more details about your upcoming adventure will help out .

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
It only takes one, ... but which one ?

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Hi Dodoman,
Right now I'm looking at a 6 day in Sept of 2011. Hopefully a flyer to the Alijos Rocks like the Charkbait Charter this year. Would love to go this year but can't swing the cash. Right now I have a Calstar 765M with an Avet 30W. It's spooled with 300yds of JB 100lb spectra with 200 yds of Izorline 80lb line on top. I'll be using it for tuna fishing off NJ party boats this fall. The NJ skippers recommend 80lb outfits and are not big fans of spectra, hence the long top shot. Plus it's all dead bait over here, except for the possibility of live squid. I figure it will work well as a trolling rig and heavy rail setup at Alijos.
Between E-mails, forums, and videos I've been trying to learn as much as possible about West Coast long range fishing before I go on a trip. I want to get some trips under my belt before attempting a cow trip. Figured I'd start with a 6 day and work my way up.
Anyway, I noticed on the videos that 40lb outfits seem to be the ones most often used when using live bait. With downsizing to 30lb if the fish are line shy, and upsizing to 50lb if the fish are larger and feeding well. It made me curious about why so many oufits are used instead of just changing the leader size.

Posts: 37 | Registered: 14 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Big Fish
posted Hide Post
It's all to save time in a hot bite or for what is hitting at the time. You save a lot of time just grabbing another outfit over tying on a new leader and constantly doing that as conditions change. Also, we like to have certain setups pre rigged and ready to use (e.g. 3o# with a 2/0 or 40# with an iron, etc.). Sometimes you only have a few seconds to get into the bite before the fish swim off or shut down and you don't want to waste that time trying to figure out what size leader to tie on. Granted, I as most guys, generally take more outfits than we typically end up using, but as the 'ol saying goes, you can't run back to shore and go pick it up so it's better to have it and know it's available rather than wishing you would have brought it. I doubt if you'll hit the rocks on a 6 day trip as it's 2 days of travel time just to get there and it doesn't leave much time to change game plans if the rocks aren't right and aren't producing. Usually 7 day trips are a minimum to target the rocks. Good luck and it's addicting, this west coast fishing!

Posts: 73 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SDTuna09
posted Hide Post
iMO...

Rigs are set up for the fish planned for or have been biting.

3 day 5 day 10 day? all need different rigs for targeted species.

I like to back up my set ups with an identical rig so if its wfo then all i do is cast catch and pick up my back up rig and do it again. two fishin the box then I go up a size class if its still wfo

after 5 to 10 fish i take a break and smile at my blessings and re rig all y set ups.

Fish targeted determine th lince and leader class and will determine your reel and rod combo.

all boats give a slection recomendation so read their recommendations to get some indeas and always ask on this board.

SDTuna

Posts: 248 | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Jersey, just about 4 years ago, I got bitten by this wonderful long range bug. My first rod is still my favorite and its a JX 2speed on a Calstar 700h. I've added too many other outfits and it remains my favorite. You can indeed use different leader sizes on this one rod. My first trip, I took this one rod and borrowed some backups from the boat. I rarely used these backups but when the bite was hot, it was nice to not have to retie while others were catching fish.

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post