CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    Follow up question- 1 v. 2 speed reels
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Follow up question- 1 v. 2 speed reels
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I appreciate the feed back. I started reading about the Tiburons. They sound great. But I need some opinions. I have zero, and I mean ZERO experience casting with conventional reels. Always used spinning gear for tossing stuff. Was thinking of getting Avet MC reels or an Accurate spinning reel for casting wahoo bombs ,or jigs. Are the Tiburons harder to cast than the Avets? Which would you recommend to a novice?

Posts: 37 | Registered: 14 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Tiburons are great reels and you can learn to cast. But the Avet Magic Cast is just that: Magic. It works. My problem is that it makes me lazy and when I pick up a non-MC reel I tend to get backlashes.

Posts: 228 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of PSGIDAHO
posted Hide Post
I don't believe Tiburons are harder to cast than any other conventional reel with great freespool. I think that learning to use a conventional reel is instrumental in West Coast Long Range fishing.

Although some might disagree, I believe that, once learned, a conventional reel allows for better and more controlled casts of anything you are throwing (not to mention a MUCH smoother and reliable drag system.)

Yes, I am a Tiburon fan for Wahoo and tuna in the 100 lb class (have caught many of both on my SST12), and I use Accurates for the larger guys. BUT I am sure that the AVET reels will do just as well.

Do yourself a favor and learn to cast one. It really isn't that hard, and I promise you, you will be glad you did.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. As I stated before I'm brand new to this and looking to build my arsenal with quality gear.It's funny how things keep improving so fast. From all the videos I bought it seems as though 10 years ago the battle for best reel was between Shimano(sorry Chark)and Penn. Lately it's between Accurate and Avet. Now I found out about Tiburon from you guys. I checked Chark's website and really liked what I saw. The automatic shifting sounds awesome, and now the 50 size is coming out. Couple that with the debate between CalStar and Seeker rods, and trying to choose the right equipment becomes mind boggling.
PSGIDAHO, given your experience with Tiburon and Accurate which do you think you would choose if you were buying your 1st 50 size reel?
Question for the Avet fans. I was wondering how much drag is actually needed? I was going to buy a MXL 2 speed MC as a 30lb reel. Now I hear that the Raptor version is coming out next year. Is the the extra drag worth the extra cost?

Posts: 37 | Registered: 14 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of PSGIDAHO
posted Hide Post
Jersey:

I am an Accurate fan. That being said, the Avet SDS50 is an AWESOME reel. For about half the cost of an ATD 50, the SDS50 (San Diego special) is great value. In any event, DO NOT GET A WIDE IN ANY REEL!!!

Both the Accurate ATD50 (topless) or the Avet SDS 50 (Also topless) are "Cow Killers." As far as Tiburon goes, I would not buy anything larger than the SST16. When you are fighting the "big boys", automatic shifting is not as important.

Again, I LOVE my Accurate's. If you simply want "the best" then that should be your choice. But then again, Avet is a great product at a great value!

You decide what is best for you.

(Thanks for asking)

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Also do not forget about the Penn VSX 50 and Okuma’s Makaira 50 both are very nice reels for cow tuna. It sure looks like Okuma has done a good job on the design of the Makaira line, I’m sure with a lot of help from Tiburon when they acquired them.

With most fishing applications the reels drag is set about ¼ to 1/3 of the lines breaking strength. This pressure is set at the strike position on lever drag reels so in your case around 7 to 10lbs. With the advent of spectra and smaller reels able to handle more and more drag pressure some people are using much smaller reels to fish heavier line. Is a two speed reel needed to fish 30lb line? In my mind no, I start to move to two speed reels at the 40lb test range but with that being said I know some people love a two speed reel for 30lb test. I’m sort of limited in my discretionary tackle budget so I spend less on my lighter line reels, 30lb test and under, using the money saved there to go into my heavier setups.

Posts: 387 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Personally, I do't think you need a Raptor for 30# and I don't need a 2 speed for 30# either. That said, if money is no object, the Raptor series virtually eliminates side load handle bind at high drag pressure so you could conceivably fish an MX Raptor with 50# or even heaver lines. And 2 speed reels are slick. We do this for fun so get what you want (whether you need it or no!) if you can afford it. I doubt I'll be able to keep myself from getting an MX Raptor once they come out. Unless I get an Accurate 400...

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I would disagree that auto shifting is not important on big fish. When a 200+ tuna makes a run at the boat I dont want to be looking for the shift button. You could have 30 yards of slack line in a hartbeat!

That being said I have about 30 days field testing the new Tiburon SST50 and already have 2 of them ready for my next 15 day at the end of January.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 06 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of PSGIDAHO
posted Hide Post
Hey Angry Dad, what boat are you gonna be on at the end of Jan? I'm on the Intrepid 15 day trip leaving January 29th.

Maybe I'll see ya then!

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Looks like we will be on the same trip. First time on the Intrepid for me, seems like a first class operation. I cant wait.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 06 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of PSGIDAHO
posted Hide Post
First time on the Intrepid? You are in for a treat! I could go on and on, but all I'll tell you is when you say "I can't wait", you have NO idea how much you mean that!

Looking forward to it!

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll bite: Why is the Intrepid so nice? Is it markedly better than, say, the Red Rooster? Why?

Deckhand
Picture of PSGIDAHO
posted Hide Post
I can't say that it is better than the Rooster because I have never had the pleasure to ride her. (I have always wanted to take a trip with John Grabowski.)

What makes the Intrepid so nice is that it has everything that is important to ME. The key word here is ME.

I love Accurate reels. Other people love Avet, Penn, etc. But the feel of an Accurate is good for ME.

The Intrepid is a new boat. It is clean, and everything works. She is fast and she has stabilizers (very important to me.) I think Javier is the best chef in the fleet (just me again.) I love Kevin Osborne. He is one of the best captains around. He mingles with the passengers well, and presents a very relaxed atmosphere.

The layout of the boat is excellent. The fishing deck (behind the bait tank) is gigantic. The tackle storage could be better. But the fish holds are also huge. Seldom is there every an issue with "plugging the holds" because of lack of room.

For travel days, satelite tv in every room (if that's what you choose to do.) Throw in no permit fees and never a fuel surcharge (yes, they started this) and I'm sold.

But like I said, it fits ME very well.

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
God forbid they should surcharge-they are already $50.00 a day more than the rest of the fleet. With the Rooster, the A Angler and the Vagabond all bringing in COWS, The boat's fish count can't be a reason....perhaps it is a bit of high bucks snobbism?

Posts: 746 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
I think it is great what we have so many choices in LR boats and to each his own in choosing one. I co-charter mastered the same boat for 25 years, the last year was 2007 and never did we pay a fuel surcharge. The only reason the boat did not include the permit charge at the time of us signing the agreement was the permits were not purchased by them at the time of our signing. Also there was never a markup or handling charge for the permits we purchased from them. The Intrepid is a mighty fine ride with a great captain and crew along with most of the true LR fleet but I’m not 100% sold on her being the first all inclusive boat. I know the fuel surcharge thing left a bad taste in the mouths of many fishermen that paid them but there were others as well as the boat I chartered that never had and still don’t add a fuel surcharged.

Posts: 387 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post