CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    Seaguar Pink Label
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seaguar Pink Label
 Login/Join

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted
Seaguar has recently come out with a Pink Label product, with some of the receipts going into breast cancer research - part of the big breast cancer promotional push. Note, Seaguar offers several different fluorocarbons: Red Label- first generation stuff, cheap and dated. Blue Label - second generation, good product, great abrasion resistance, but thick and stiff. Premier - third generation, thinner diameter, more stretch nicer product. Their new Pink Fluorocarbon is basically their Red Label product (at best its between red label and blue label - 2 generations back in terms of quality), we're seeing a marketing ploy - inferior product targeting YoZuri's FL line and using breast cancer as a marketing gimmick.

While I'm a fan of breasts, I ain't a fan of Seaguar's direction on this one and here's why:

1. If you want to support breast cancer research, donate money yourself and take the tax deduction.
2. Seaguar's pink line is basically Red Label product offered at a higher price! It ain't as good as Blue Label, and it's a far cry from Premier. That's the product background you won't get from most folks, but it's accurate.
3. I'd have felt a bit better if Seaguar put the donation/promotion into testicular and prostate cancer research instead of jumping on the breast cancer bandwagon. OVER Four Times More Funding goes into breast cancer research than prostate and testicular cancer research, the same number of people die from each! But, the funding goes into breast cancer and men ain't getting much help with prostate and testicular cancer research funding. More men fish, and Seaguar could have taken a lead here in putting some money back into research which benefits their primary clientele. Instead they jumped on a marketing bandwagon and then used a dated and inferior product to garner some attention. This promotional push by Seaguar might have been better directed towards helping guys in their fight against cancer. I'm a bit of cynic on this one...Please understand, I'm a fan of breasts and cancer research, but this one strikes me a gimmick pure and simple. An inferior product is being offered, and if Seaguar really gave a rats ass about cancer research they could have simply cut a check from sales of their other lines. They are using the cancer angle to sell an inferior product and push pink as a marketing move against YoZuri.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1289 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I appreciate this post. On several levels ...

Posts: 115 | Registered: 30 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manager CB San Diego
Captain
posted Hide Post
Hear, Hear Mark!

What you say is the truth, and although I sometimes take flack for echoing the same sentiments, it's unfortunately still "en vogue" for everyone to "do their part" and help with breast cancer research funding.

I appreciate your candidness as well, because being cynical about "causes," especially breast cancer research, is taboo. I think people like the public recognition of doing something that they think is good, but like you said, if you really want to help the cause, cut a check to the Susan G. Komen foundation or some other group that (hopefully) is actively working to find a cure or at least further research.

Back to the fishing angle, it's cool to buy and sport fishing-related products that are pink because it gives fishermen the chance to proudly declare that they "love boobs." We get it; you don't need pink line or a bracelet that states it. Yes, you had friends and relatives that had or have cancer. We all have.

Like you stated, the unfortunate issue here is that consumers are buying an inferior product just because they think they are supporting breast cancer awareness, research, etc. On top of that, Seaguar, like everyone else, seems to miss the point that you clearly stated; that there are just as many instances of men with testicular or prostate cancer, but we don't ever hear about the "fight" against it or awareness month or walks and marathons.

Seaguar may have missed an opportunity to do something for an issue that will undoubtedly affect so many of their fisherman customers.

There will always be gimmicks and marketing ploys trying to push a product under the guise of something else and I like the fact that you aren't afraid to tell it like it is. That being said, maybe I'll just stick to my YoZuri pink fluoro Smiler.

- Mike

Posts: 106 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'm with you. If I want pink I'll go Yo-Zuri (in truth 80% of the time I'll be more apt to fish AFW's Quatro for FL leader - better pricing, Portuguese made, four color tint)...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1289 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post