New
Find
Notify
Tools

ICAST 2016
 Login/Join

Captain
posted Hide Post
Chark, do the new Saltiga conventionals use the magnetic - fluid oil that's been creeping into their product line? They don't sell the stuff to tackle stores, so to replace it you have to send a reel to Daiwa, and it has a five-year lifespan. Or so I have read.

Count me as one who regrets not purchasing the prior edition, specifically the Saltiga Surf 30.
Does the current lineup include a Saltiga that's optimized for surf use?

Posts: 121 | Registered: 30 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Yep! I can't speak to the length of use on the ferro-fluid (thats what we called the stuff back in the mid/late 80's when some of the high end speaker manufacturers used it to aid in dissipating heat from voice coils). No specific model in the new line for the surf application, and really I'm not sure how much different the Saltiga Surf was back when that was in the line...may need to check some old archived webpages from our site. (Relabled 30 or was there more to it...just don't remember) Daiwa really had a good show I felt, new Saltist and BG spinners, the Saltiga roll out, all looked good. Also ordered some new lures from the firm. I can say Daiwa's service dept. has improved over the past few years (make that about 10). There was a time that dept. was not so hot. That's not the case now, they've stepped up their service considerably. I'd have no reservation sending them my reels, and on the more sophisticated gear it's probably the best call anyway. Also, that helps the manufacturer stay on top of their gear, to note if something needs improving.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
We'll have some new Daiwa products arriving this next week, new Van Staal spinning rods, and...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Captain
posted Hide Post
The handle was different and my memory (which is weak) is that there were minor differences internally as well. Not a great reel for plugging, a bit large for that, but top of the line for anything involving a chunk of fish as a bait. ... Pity my thumb's gotten arthritic. I'll be watching the arrival of the Okuma and Penn spinners closely.

Posts: 121 | Registered: 30 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Some new Hydroglow lights arrived yesterday, will shoot and post this week- check the specials page next weekend.

More to come...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chark:
The new Komodo 400 size - this one will be available in two gear ratios. Makes good sense to me...we ordered 'em both. Some very positive improvements over what was an excellent reel. I really like the new cosmetics we'll see on the Komodo 300/400 reels.

Mark,
How would you rate the casting of the 450 size Komodo. Looking for a long caster to through swim baits for YFT in the GOM at night w/ minimal risk of backlash.
Thanks,
Ken

Posts: 3 | Registered: 31 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Oops throw!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 31 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Should be quite good. We've received the new reels, seem very robust to me. Looking for user feedback to begin to come in now...

Great Stuff!
Mark