CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Trip Reports    WSB limits - Catalina - 4/10
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSB limits - Catalina - 4/10
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted
Short and sweet - limits for 5 of us in 20 minutes on Tuesday - but the swell was brutal.

Squid making was a bit tough - 2 hours to crowd 3 scoops.

All big fish - 30lb-47lb. Heading back to the same spot after this front moves through.

They bit anything with squid that you put in the water - did not have a chance on 20lb or 30lb string - had to fish 40lb to stay out of the kelp.

Posts: 166 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Great catch . I guess the restoration projects are paying dividends . Does anyone remember the days when we would beat up on the WSB's in the 60's on the TJ flats between the El Cortez Hotel and the Bull ring when the Squid spawned ?

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Reelveal,
Nice report, sweet. You got me all fired up. Have signed up on a 1 1/2 day'er , April 18-19, out of Oxnard to the Channel Islands. Depart 10pm on the 18th and back about 7pm the 19th. On the Pacific Dawn. Its been 4 months in the land locked mode. To say the least, I am Ready.

Still open spots if anyone is interested. 24 max load and need a minimum of 12 to go. $125.00

http://www.pacificdawn.com/pg/stories.php

Walt

FOUND THIS LUCKY GUY SURFING THE WEB

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Walt good luck - seems the Channel Island bite more consistant. But - I've found the grade at Catalina is bigger.

Pretty wild bite - we actually had a BIG free swimming school under the boat - you could actually spot fish... Could have hooked a lot more fish - but we got our limit and moved on - I just have a hard time beating these creatures up when they bite full speed. Need to make sure this resource is in place for my 1 year old son in the future.

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
you guys are doing a reel good job on your reports, keeps me updated on what going on , on a regular basis. now go fish some more and let us know whats happening. Wink

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Going again Tuesday - if we can make it happen again - I'll post some pics.

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
tap,tap,tap,tap,tap,tap.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Well - that wind and swell took a toll on the backside and the water temp took a major dump.

But - we got 2 legal halibut and bunch of calicos and misc. junk fish - no WSB's.

The Dreamer pull along side me and stuck it out for an hour - so that tells me I was in the right spot - I didn't see him or anyone hang a seabass...

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Well, my 1 1/2 day'er got cancelled due to the 10-13 foot sea state around the Channel Islands. But thats OK with me, did not want to come across as a wimp by cancelling myself. LOL No way was I going out in that stomach buster.

However, being a die hard, have signed on to the Big Game 90 for an over night to San Clemente Island, leaves tomorrow the 19th at 10pm. $99.00. Lets see what I dredge up. Will report Sat.

Walt

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
hay walt, good luck on the trip, tell capt. jewett i said hello, and ill be seeing him in augt.if he forgets who i am , show him the picture on the boats galley( with me and emanuel lewis known as webster.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Good luck Walt - hopefully you make it out in decent conditions.

The wind in Huntington Harbour is kickin right now - just re-tied the boat down a bit tighter.

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good luck kudos guys. I think we will be able to deal with the wind by staying on the lee side of San Clemente. Its that sea state that has me "Concerned" .

The weather report below looks favorable except for a possiblilty of rain and some wind. I can deal with that, as long as I don't have to look UP at the sea and see my line at a positive angle to the horizon . You know the feeling. The boats in a hole so deep you think you think you dropped into a pit.

Walt

INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO PT. CA INCLUDING SANTA
CATALINA AND SANTA BARBARA ISLANDS-
310 AM PDT THU APR 19 2007

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PDT THIS MORNING

TODAY
NW TO N WIND 10 TO 15 KT WITH FREQUENT GUSTS TO 25 KT IN
THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING W 10 TO 15 KT WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS
TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT...DIMINISHING TO
1 TO 3 FT IN THE AFTERNOON. W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT AT 12
SECONDS...SUBSIDING TO 3 TO 5 FT AT 13 SECONDS.

TONIGHT
W WIND 10 TO 15 KT WITH OCCASIONAL EVENING GUSTS TO 25
KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT...DIMINISHING TO 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2
TO 4 FT AT 12 SECONDS.

FRI
SW WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO
3 FT AT 12 SECONDS. CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN
LIKELY AND SLIGHT CHANCE OF TSTMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

FRI NIGHT
W TO NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 25
KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 3 TO 5 FT. RAIN LIKELY WITH A
SLIGHT CHANCE OF TSTMS IN THE EVENING.

SAT
W WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 3 TO
5 FT.

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Think of it this way - you'll appreciate the flat calm days that much more...

I can deal with a spaced out big swell - but I can't stand the wind.

GO AWAY WIND!

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
Being from No Cal we would go out in the rough stuff regularly. 6-8ft swell blowing 15-20 knots was a regular day. As Reelveal said if it is spaced out enough it is fine. Just don't go out on square swell and seconds. In my dad's 17ft Boston Whaler we did 8-10ft swells one day but they were 15 seconds and light wind. I was wondering what the H I was out there for until the fish started biting.

Slay them Walt!

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Lets see, how do I change a pigs ear into a silk purse and to do that without lying, Confused not an option.

Catalina bound we left port with 24, nice and roomy for the Big Game. Non-event on the way out, 4-6 ft seas, hit the sack, wake up bout 3am. Capt. Mike and the deck hands are trying to make squid. Mooved several times with no luck, got about 14 total. No problem I think, the bait tanks are full of nice sardines and 30lb of frozen squid in the freezer. Not optimal, but we can make the best of what we have.

If there was such a thing as an "OFF SWITCH" somewhere in Davies Locker, someone hit it. With 24 guys you would think something would happen. When all was said and done I would bet there was not 30lb of fish total caught for the day.

When I saw guys putting small barred perch (8") into their sacks my brain started to short circuit. Not too excited about doing the dropper loop thing. Yes, some times its the only productive way to fish, I will do it if I have to, but to me its like carp fishing, throw that dough ball out and attach a bell to your rod tip and go to sleep. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I prefer a more interactive technique. LOL

So Cptn. Mike keeps moving, on the third stop one of the guys get bit GOOD, I get excited thinking its about time we finally have some targets. This "THING" takes the guy around the boat 2X. But the more I watch the battle the more I suspect somethings a-miss. The line is going stright out almost parallel with water and his rod tip is not throbbing, just a steady pull. Am thinking bat ray. To the guys credit he finally get color. About a 7 foot shark over a 100 lbs for sure. With the shark right on the surface we can see that it got fowl hooked on the left pedtoral fin, the deck cuts it loose. One more highlight, after about the 5 th move a guy hooks a nice what I think they called a White Groper, 23", was short, was released. Two small Halibut in the 5-7 lb range were caught. Everything eles was around a pound each.

So you ask, what was in my sack. I had in my sack an egg, a goose egg. I slung stuff all day. Irons, Irons w/squid, Irons w/dines attached, jig w/squid, jigs w/sardines , across the bottom, on the top and in between. Flylined dines, flylined a huge mack, with and without weight. If I was going to get bit it was going to be big enough to think my Big-Mack was just the right size for a snack. Was using 40lb line. Did not dare go lighter because we were always close to the kelp. Did not want to loose the big bitter because I was under gunned. Not one pick up not even a beat up sardine.

Lesson Learned: Consider bringing only rods 71/2 foot or shorter on the Big Game 90. The deck rack is overhung by the upper deck,limiting rod length. They had some racks on the upper deck, but who wants to climb that ladder every time you wanted a rig change. Some guys just bent the tip section out with it resting against the overhang. Imagine what that tip section looks like after 4hrs of vibration against that the edge of that overhang. Took my two 8 footers and put them in a slanted position at the bow section. With only 24 on board, I had plenty of room to do that. The rack was only half full.

Lesson II: Be content with what ever the sea gives up. Be happy that the boat is solid and the Captian and crew are good. They worked hard. Remembering that any day at sea is better than a day of "Honey Doo's"

Walt

In The Sack !!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walt,