CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Trip Reports    1.5Day on Top Gun 80
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1.5Day on Top Gun 80
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
My friends and I took a chance this early in the season and decided to jump on a 1.5d offshore trip aboard the Top Gun 80 that left on June 11, 2010. This would give us a good opportunity to test out our new Avets (SX, MX, & JX) all bought at Charkbait and all 2spd. With the SD fish counts reporting poor conditions and only 2.5-3day tuna trips reporting catches of tuna over the past few weeks, our expectations were very low.

Since everyone showed up early, the boat left H&M at 8:30pm. The wind was blowing and the swells were rolling which made for rough ride out. Luckily the staterooms were comfortable. The bathrooms had real flushing toilets with a separate shower. We woke up at about 5am to big swells and started to troll about 6am. Water and air temps were cold. We got our first jig strike at about 8am which produced 3 bonitas. Although not what we were targeting, it got us pretty pumped. We stopped and every kelp paddy but no one was home. It was looking like it was going to be another long boat ride.

Then in the afternoon I saw something I never seen before. Explosions of bluefin tuna (20#- 35#) a few hundred yards ahead of the boat. It looked like the water was foaming as the tuna jumped out of the water chasing the bait. As the captain headed towards it, just as fast as they came they disappeared. It starting becoming like a cat and mouse game. The bluefin would emerge then disappear again. But the Captain (Bobby Taft) and crew never gave up. We all stood ready with our hands prepared to snatch a sardine from the bait well. Finally after a few passes, the captain slid into a tuna boil. Before I knew it, everyone had their bait in the water hoping to be the first to yell "Hook up!". Within seconds, we all heard that glorious sound..."HOOK UP". The Bluefin were finally ready to play. Nothing less then 30# test was used. If you did, you got broken off. Trust me, I know.
We had but a few minutes each time the captain slid into a boil before the tuna would dive. This went on the rest of the day. It was amazing seeing hundreds of bluefin jump/launch out of the water just a few feet from the boat. I consider myself very lucky to have actually seen this. All in all, my friends and I boated 8 of the 19 bluefin caught on this trip. I have been trying to catch this tuna for many years and I can finally mark the "Bluefin" off my list of fishes to catch. What an amazing trip! The captain and crew really worked hard every minute and never gave up on finding fish. I will definitely fish this boat again!

Also, thanks to the guys at Charkbait for supplying my friends and I with the Avets. I really love these reels.......

-Jace

Posts: 10 | Registered: 20 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SDTuna09
posted Hide Post
great photo and you once agian gave all hope to play the hand out and see what happens.

Great Attitude prevailed

SDTuna

Posts: 248 | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Smiler Congrats on the bluefins! Yes, they can be quite frustrating to see them jumping and breezing all around, yet when you get close enough they swim away or head for the deep. Welcome to the blue "club" and may you continue to bask in the joy of fishing for them!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Mr. TunaLimits,

Congrats on a great trip. Blue Fin make the best sushi.

I am interested to know if you know why you and you
friends accounted for such a large share of the total B\F
count. Were you guys doing something that others were
not doing or was it something else.

Curious minds would like to know.

Walt

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
sorry-uncalled for, thank you.

Posts: 761 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Some of us know women that read these posts, CV. Let's keep our sexist crap to ourselves, please.

Posts: 761 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Hey Walt. I honestly don't think it was the gear as everyone pretty much were using good quality stuff. Just about everyone was using florocarbon leaders. I would have to say it was how we worked and moved our fish pass the other anglers to avoid tangles. Some anglers did not know how to stay in front of their line or move with their fish. We also noticed a pattern. Everyone would toss their lines in as the boat continued to slide into a boil. We waited but a few seconds. By then, everyone's lines would bunch up in the back corner leaving an open pocket for us to toss our baits without dealing with the crowds. While they were busy untangling their lines we were getting bit on the side of the boat. It also helped that we had been fishing together for awhile and know how to work together. We each try different things and when one of us gets bit, we all switch to what he's doing. We're constantly talking to each other as well as the deckhands and sharing ideas and what we each notice while fishing. We definitely got a teamwork thing going each time we go out. It helps when you always go fishing with the same group of guys. When we're on a boat, we sometimes can just look at each other and we know what we should do.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 20 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post