CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Trip Reports    THERE BACK - GIANT SQUID!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THERE BACK - GIANT SQUID!
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
Went out of Seaforth fishing 40lb test with the larger squid jigs (bigger glow in the dark plastic bodies). Some were using those big monster Squid jigs that wiegh 1 1/2lbs. Started catching them slowly really deep at first, I couldn't get deep enough with 300 yds! Afterwards, that changed fast as everyone was getting hit on the drop before anywhere from 50 to 200ft on every drop. The guys with 60 to 80lb test and 2 speeds were fairing best. The Squid on average were between 15 to 30lbs with a few pushing 40 or better. Get some!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigman,

Posts: 153 | Registered: 24 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Going out for a 2 day'er next week and might catch some squid. Never have caught any so I don't have the faintest idea on cooking them. Anyone got some good recipes the might share, it will be appreciated.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
IMHO squids are like mussels-they's bait! Big Grin

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Walt,

First make sure the squid is cleaned correctly (on large models I don’t eat the tentacles I remove them and disregard). On the mantel (head area, cone or the tubbier part) I slit up one side from fat part by the tentacles to the top. Then remove all innards and the cuddle bone. I f you haven’t done this be for don’t worry you will feel it and just grab it and pull it out. Lay flat on cutting board and remove the membrane (the thin layer of film) on both sides of the squid. Fingers work best for this. Start at the side that you cut to open the mantel and use fingernails or sharp knife to start the process and peel it off again on both sides. The outside is colored and the inside is clear peel off and throw them away. Now with a nice steak lay some cling wrap down on the cutting board covering both sides and pound thin (not too thin a little more than half the thickness).

Ok now for cooking:

1. Cut steaks into a one person serving size. Put squid into egg wash then into flour, back in to egg wash then into bread crumbs. Place steaks into hot pan (a lightly smoking one) with a little oil in it (I like Olive oil). When bread crumbs are lightly brown flip (maybe a minute and a half or two) but not to long. Squid turns rubbery fast. Serve with your favorite sides.
2. Cut strips about the size of your index finger maybe 3-4 inches long and place into tempura batter and place into hot oil (oil deep this time and not olive oil it will burn). Remove then lightly brown and drain on paper towels (single layer so they stay crisp and again serve with sides.
3. Dice squid and make cievce with lime, onion, chile and the other stuff that it is made out of (sorry I play this one by ear but I’m sure you can find a real recipe some where) and instead of fish use the squid. Best if left over night to marinate. Serve with crisp tortilla chips or tostada shells.
4. Make a nice Italian clam sauce (red or white) and at the end of cooking add diced squid in stead of clams. Then pour it over your favorite pasta.

Make sure not to over cook the squid in 1, 2 and 4. At first when you think it is done it will be probably be over cooked. Give it a test sooner rather than later and you will get the hang of it. Soft and nice is the key not rubbery. Make sure you serve with a good beverage of your choice.

P.S. Sorry as an after thought try to get the squid cleaned as soon as possible. That is get the mantel off as soon as you can and guts out. The deck hands may not want to do this for you because they have a lot to do so if you can do it your self. Keep it cold like other fish as soon as possible it will make a whole world of difference. Peace out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SoCalAngler,

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of big gabe
posted Hide Post
yuk!!! lol...

TEAM
976-TUNA

Posts: 177 | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I was watching Mario Batali and he said cook squid either for 2 minutes or a whole hour. Anything else will be rubbery.

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
wow that was the time tie into a squid???????

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Fishslayer
posted Hide Post
Depending on this weather I'm gonna try to get out on the New Seaforth Friday night.

They handed me my azz with 40# last time. 'course, the NSF left the dock with about 80 people that trip... Frowner

Fishslayer

Posts: 63 | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Are these real Giant Squid, Humboldts, or something else? I have never heard of fishing for Giant Squid.

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of big gabe
posted Hide Post
humbolts get pretty big, but are not giant squid...

TEAM
976-TUNA

Posts: 177 | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Sooo... what species exactly are you guys fishing for when you say "Giant Squid"?

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
See above Smiler Their called Humboldt squid and I have seen them in Baja go over 6' long.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
OH! Sorry Gabe, misread your post. Thank you SoCal. That must be a fun night trip with the guys. I will have to try it someday. I can only imagine how hard a pissed off 6' Humbolt can pull like!