CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Trip Reports    Huntington to Ensenada:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huntington to Ensenada:
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted
Fished in a 2 day Tuna Club tourny over the weekend.

Headed out on 8/16 - way out and down the line... fished outside the east fly for all the albies you wanted - triple and quads on the jigs and bait fish to be had. All quality fish 25lb+ - started running only 2 jig rods because we wanted to fool around with 8lb and 12lb test. we'd leave the jig fish hanging and battle it out on the lighter line - several losses - but I did get a 28lber on an old newell loaded with Ande tourny line in 8lb. By the way - weather sucked - big swell, small interval and a little wind to top it off. Even in a 36ft Rivera - was not beer drinking weather.
8/17 and 8/18 - fished out of the Coral - kelp hunting from the 238 to the 295 and around the upper 500. Located about 8 paddies - 2 held fish - got about 12 yellowtail from 22lbs-30lbs - all nice fish - they bite the dines, mackeral, surface iron - even some tom cod that we ended up getting from the bait receiver in Ensenada - too funny... Caught a couple of peanut yellowfin around the kelps as well - nothing to put on the wall but excellent sushimi.
Fun trip great ride home on 8/19 from Ensenada to HH - 24kts the entire ride home - ran over a broadbill outside of Dana - turned around but the fish bugged out.

Headed out on the RP for 5 days this Sunday - I'll post some pics of this trip and the 5 day when I return.

Posts: 166 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Wish I had fishing like that when I lived in HB! Glad you do!

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Planet -
We traveled over 300 miles round trip to land these fish and burned more fuel that I care to speak about.

Come back to HB - I'll be running my Skipjack offshore most of September. Never know - the yellowfin and dorado may be on the way in as the albies move out...

Captain
posted Hide Post
Reelveal, you da man. Can't describe how happy your comment made me feel, especially after a demoralizing day at the lab. If I *ever* get a chance to get back to HB (if worst comes to worst, and I remain landlocked, I plan to be there for my HS reunion in a few years--Edison), I am going to contact you as soon as I find out I get to go, with maximum lead time. I'll bring my share of the dough (gas, bait, tackle, whatever else), and the best grub I can find--as a personal "thank you"...

Fishermen are the salt of the Earth...

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
A previous HB local and Chark customer is always welcome - a few days heads up is plenty for me - boat needs to be run consistantly. My buddy Spike (who used to 2nd and deck the Red Rooster) - likes to run my boat even more then me...

Captain
posted Hide Post
Well, Reelveal, I am speechless (almost)...

Man, my experience is so often either high or low, rarely average...

Thank you, from the parts of my brain and heart that are at peace...

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Nice report Reelveal, always great to hear of someones succes. I consider your ride a Wesmar with a motor attached. A dream boat come true.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Walt - I sure an happy with my Skipjack - planning on taking care or it and keeping it for a very long time. The Wesmar is unbelieveable - it truly changes the my old tactics of finding gamefish.

But this last trip was on my neighbors 36ft Riviera - not exactly roughing it...