CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Trip Reports    AA 5-day to Cedros, Best surface iron bite EVER
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AA 5-day to Cedros, Best surface iron bite EVER
 Login/Join

Pro Staff
Captain
posted
All,
Just returned from an American Angler 5-day to Cedros Island, was field-testing the upcoming Penn Torque conventional reels.
We had 2 days of picky yellows, but one day they absolutely went off, especially on surface iron tossed on the long rods.
My 15 yellowtail on surface iron included 10 jumbos over 30 pounds each [36.5 pounds biggest].
Hottest jigs were: Sumo 7X light sardine, Tady 4/0 light blue/white, Tady 45 light sardine, Tady C light blue/white.
They were biting yo-yo jigs, live sardines, and live squid also.
The test reels worked well [used 20-50 pound line depending on model], and I think Chark's delivery date is still tracking for after New Year's.

Posts: 245 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Yes there are yellows at Cedros this year, and that's just great for yhr Long range fleet, Let's kill as many as we can !!! I will do my best as you would do !!!You will not get that great of action anywhere close to home and that what the cost is all about, Fork out enough Dough, you get to kill plenty of quality fish. 5 days are just the new overnight trips that were 10 years ago. aand 3,000$ is the 1500$ like wise in past times. Mexico will soon Tax our A$$e$ off at Cedros so PAY NOW and kill abunduntly, these are the GOOD 'OL DAYS!!1

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Crowne,
I have fished Cedros since the mid 1970's, and the "surface iron" bite was never as good as this trip.
It may well be that the strong cold-water condition in local waters has caused a "pile-up" of yellowtail at Cedros.
We have indeed gotten a bit spoiled with the repetitive El Nino conditions of the past 15 years.
The 1991 "local" season was the worst in my lifetime [much worse than 2010], and virtually nothing was caught offshore in 1986 until October.
During the huge El Nino of 1983, all the fish were up here, and the long-ranging was fair at best.
Wish I'd been around for the El Nino of 1957-1959, Russ Izor told me that was the very best of all!
We have gone through many up and down cycles, hopefully this "down" cycle won't last long.

Posts: 245 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know what line you used on which reel.....I need a 40 lb jig reel.

Posts: 760 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Steve will respond, He is just Daydreaming about this trip ha had up until now forgotten about, he will relive it and answer your questions in short order, Ahhhh, What a great trip!!!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post