CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Trip Reports    Red Rooster III 5 Day Charter September 2017
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Rooster III 5 Day Charter September 2017
 Login/Join

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted
Just got back home from our five day charter, always a great trip - always. This year was no exception. We had considered making the run to Guadalupe Island, but the reports did not indicate good fishing at that destination so we switched gears. We fished our local bluefin for a few days, then headed south to fish in Mexico. Skipper Tom did a great job, made some gutsy calls for great results. The whole crew was exceptional, which is exactly what we expect on this boat.

We made one stop of bluefin within a few hours of leaving San Diego, and fished the same area for three days, well within five miles or so of the first spot. We were only 35 miles out of SD. First day, probably 60 or so nice bluefin from 40-60 lbs. Same sort of fishing the next two days. Then the wind came up, so we stayed close to San Clemente Island for the first part of the day. Not much going on at the island, but late in the day Tommy made a move outside and we had a GREAT bite on better grade bluefin in the 140-160 lb range. We ended up with 20+ of these bruisers.

I had one heart break on the big fish, and one success. Heartbreak on the kite, finally got the fish to color and the reel (an old Accurate ATD which had just gotten back from service, and didn't feel right from the beginning of the fight) seized up and cost me a lost fish. The reel seized, and at that point the line failed. Stuff happens... Really uncomfortable fishing wide heavy reels on a boat rod without a gimbal. Next up, fished my Makaira 10 with 60# Toro hollow braid and a 50# wind on leader with Sunline FL. Got bit on bait, fought the fish for almost 2 hours, round and round the boat. Finally landed the fish, thanks to some great deckhand work. Loved fishing the little Mak, used my United Composite CP70HP, had plenty of power and was nice and light, compact and balanced, not fighting the gear like was on the big stuff.

Another great trip on the Rooster, don't know how we'll top this one. Probably 70% or more of the guys (and gal) on the trip were repeat riders. Everyone worked together cooperatively, nice fishing the rail with guys who look out for those who have a fish on. Lots of communication, little frustration or drama with this bunch of anglers. Nice, given what most us have experienced on some trips. Great guys to fish with, wonderful boat, top notch crew and skipper - and the fish were cooperative. Doesn't get much better than this. Really a great way to spend five days.

Pics and vid coming...

Great Stuff!
Mark

The Crew of the Rooster

Posts: 1350 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post