Find
Notify
Tools

Venice, LA
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted
What a place!!!!! 20 miles of river, 16-30 miles of salt water and GOOD FISHING!!! The people at Venice Marina were wonderfully and everyone was helpfully to us Oregon Okies. More when I catch up on my sleep from the 4 day return drive.

A special thank you to Bill and Mike, the owners of Venice Marina, for all of the help and putting up with us camping in their parking lot.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of HOGGEM'IN
posted Hide Post
I am glad you made it back and had a AWSOME trip. thanks for the many phone calls with daily up dates.

Posts: 69 | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Lee - can you expand on the fish report a bit...

Posts: 166 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
I'll do so as soon as I catch up some much needed sleep. I'm rummy and tired but after a shower I at least feel like I'm part of the human race again.

Crew
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Lee.

You guys were even recognized by a BD member down there.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Keta,
We are all waiting for your report. Especially me, my sister in law lives in Louisiana close to Venice and have been contemplating a charter trip there for some time. My wife and her sister can gab it up whilest I go to sea. LOL. Smiler Any charter reccomends?

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
After a relatively uneventfully 3-1/2 day drive we arrived in New Orleans and experienced a 3 hour ordeal trying to get out of town and heading the right direction, Louisiana can't afford street signs. We arrived in Venice around 16:00 and kept driving south. No signs again but we decided to make a turn on a rough looking road and in about a mile saw the sign for Venice Marina. Set up camp in the parking lot and made dinner. After a bit a 36' boat, with 3 250hp Yamaha's on it, on a trailer pulled in and we recognized it from the round a round on the highway in New Orleans. We said "hi" to the driver, Rick, and talked to him and the owner, Perry, about their boat, our boat and fishing in the Venice area. Perry and Rick had just come up from Tampa, FL to fish YFT. The next morning we went down and talked to them again about how to fish "the Lump" and Perry offered us a seat on his boat. Day one, black fin, yellowfin, kingfish and an 8' shark. On shore we met Detlef and John two crazy Canadians that were down fishing. The next day we spent fishing on their boat for "Snackers" (red snapper) and other inshore fish. Houston arrived that evening and settled in for a week of fishing. By now things were blurred but fishing was good, inshore mostly. We met up with some others and they offered to lead us out of South Pass (foggy) the next morning. Just after we split up we had a total electrical failure, cracked brush and bad voltage regulator, and the main motor died. Drifting in the gulf with no radio and squalls all over is not a good thing but the kicker had a alternator and we ran back on it until the batteries were charged enough to run the big motor. The weather got bad for a few days and we worked on the motor. CD got the regulator and a shop in Bell Chase put it together for us at NO CHARGE! 15 minutes after CD arrived the boat was up and running. Jon and me spent a night at Medusa, a floating rig 50 miles south of Venice, and got several YFT to 60lbs (mine). Around 02:00 we were woke to the sound of a screaming drag and Jon fought a suspected swordfish for over 40 minutes before loosing it at about 40' from the boat.

Bad weather the last 3 days but we had fun talking to our new friends in Venice. Lots of good people there!

Not much else bad happened until the return trip when we had a blow out in TexASS. By the way, Texas realy sucks!

YFT to 130lbs (CD)
Kingfish to 35lbs
Amberjack to 50lbs
Wahoo to 70lbs (Puffin got all of the wahoo, one close to 60lbs and one around 70lbs)
Lots of blackfin, some speckled trout, redfish, red "snackers" and many "other fish".

"Chunking" for tuna is fun and might work for albacore. Fishing at night is a blast and I hope to do it off the Oregon coast this season.

Walt,
Have them contact Susan at http://www.reellouisianaadventures.com/ She will line up just what they want in a trip. BTW Susan is a great person and fisherman.

Capteddie http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/anywhere-fishing-repo...shore-venice-la.html on Bloodydecks catches fish consistantly and is a good guy, same for Captain Troy Wetzel, his e-mail is troywetzel@cox.net.
Many other good captains down there and most will put them on fish. When we left the wahoo fishing was hot!

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you've had a great time. One of these days I've got to get my butt out there!!! You are right-on about the people in LA, it is a Sportsmen's paradise as their license plates state. And, the food is the best in the country. Give me some crawfish ettufee, some hushpuppies, a couple dozen oysters and some Ukrainian vodka and I'll set-a-spell with a smile on my grizzled face.

GS<
MS

Posts: 1538 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
They just don't say great stuff for nothing...

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post