CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Trip Reports    Red Rooster 8 Day Charter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Rooster 8 Day Charter
 Login/Join

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted
Made it back from our Red Rooster III eight day charter last week. Learned a lot on this trip. We would have had a limited load of 22 guys, but the Intrepid had some mechanical problems and had to cancel. A group from Colorado had been schedlued on that trip (most of the guys had an earlier trip cancelled on the Inde due to mech. probs.). So, our load increased to 30. Good group of guys, and surprisingly they didn't drink us out of beer like the last group from Colorado accomplished.

For the first time in my life, wahoo were the predominant species caught. However, these fish had been under a good deal of pressure over the past month. We still landed about 100 of these excellent fish. Due to the pressure the fish really didn't respond well to jigs or bombs. We had some on the bombs our first day (in green, no other color drew attention). But, really bait was the way to go. That's not my personal preference, I like fishing jigs/iron for these guys. Also, the stern was pretty darn crowded. So, I stayed off bait myself...and paid a price. Bait worked. An experienced long ranger, Bob Cherry, schooled us all. He landed 13 wahoo! Learned a lot from Bob. He scaled way down, fishing 27# wire on 30# line! Drag was set to 8 lbs - nothing more. With that setup he scored very well. On the other hand, I was chucking iron and got scraped 3 times, had one Wounded Swimmer inhaled = and got cut off. So, I was one of three anglers who got skunked...until I had my last shot on the troll. My wife had already noticed that I'd not caught a fish, most of the other guys had nice pics posted on the RR's website during the charter. I had one last chance to get a wahoo. So, I put out an OLD Marauder in a different color pattern than the other lures in the spread, put it on 175 instead of 275# cable, dropped it back about 15 feet further back, and was promptly rewarded with the second largest fish of the trip.

We had two notable catches, a nice white seabass from Benitos Isl. Also, one of our guys Don, a frequent participant on our trip, who had 8 hookups...for zero wahoo. Don's up there in years, and a very good fisherman. Well, he got the last good fish of the trip, hooking up with a nice 40 lb halibut at the island. No skunk for him, or for me thankfully. We both learned a lot on this trip.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1354 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post