CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Long Range SD Reports    Indy 5/13-5/19 report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indy 5/13-5/19 report
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
Well I finally got my 7 yr. old on a multiday trip. I was hoping for maybe a 2.5 day but as the load was pretty light on the Independence, I figured he would enjoy himself, so I stroked the plastic.
We departed Sat. @ noon although we were all there between 9-10. And we headed out to the bait recievers to load up. The bait was looking good (no dead seals this time) and were treated to an airshow by some Navy F-18's doing touch and go's for about an hour. Also had an attack sub in drydock and Christian got to see his 1st. working sub. Quite the start for the little guy (me too!)

All the longrangers have to do their DD searching offshore one day per trip and our trip did 2, one on the way down and one on the way back. We dilegently checked out every paddy visable to the human eye,and some I never even saw. The same story each time.. nobody home.

We trolled from SD to Cedro's and only hooked maybe 3 Bonitos, although Christian got to pull them in on his trolling rotation!

We finally made Cedros and things started jumping, we had an almost wide open bite and it was looking as if everyone would limit out so to say spirits were running high would be a fair assesment, for soon the decision was made to head to Guadelupe!

Everyone was charged up to go to the "Lupe" as we would be the 1st. sardine wagon on the block! So the hook was pulled as we headed to the fabled home of the Taxman. For those of you new to this the Great Whites at Guadelupe are legendary, as stories of 2-3, sometimes more Great Whites cicling the boat are commonplace among the fleet. Stories abound of having to distract the apex predators with previously severed fishheads soas to enable hooked fish to be brought to the boat whole!

But the fishing Gods were unprepared for our arrival... As the swirling mists surrounding the fabled isle's peaks parted dappled light shone upon barren seas. As the temps were in the mid 60's we could only hope some would come to play. We traveled the shores of the south end,and we traveled the nortern shores as well and much to our dismay only a few (4) yellows were hooked.

And the only representitive of the fabled shark population was a sole errant 6' Mako. As a hint of the possibilities, the powers that be also sacrificed an endangered black sea bass larger even than the fortunate angler who was his captor.

As we waved goodbye, plans began forming for our return to the island in hopes of greater conquests, although my heart was warm with the fact the little one had seen many things, not the least of which was a black seabass and a Mako, both of which could very well be extinct we he takes his 7 year old on his 1st. longrange trip.

My compliments to the crew of the Indy, Captian Jeff who does excellant passanger meetings. Thomas, Kyle, John and Shaun for all their help and expertise and Garrett and Ed for saving the little ones deserts and Judy for allowing Christian to go on such a fine 1st. trip. To Steve from Izorline and Robin from Youngs Tackle for all the goodies. And all my fellow passengers, Christian got to see many fine examples of what it means to be a man, and for that I will always be grateful.
Regards,
Michael Menard
&
Christian Meades

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Reel'n Rod
posted Hide Post
Very well written and appreciated Micheal.

Posts: 70 | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
im in tears also, leaving the lupe is like leaving your rod and reel.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
Fantastic story and thank you for sharing such a cherished and treasured memory with the
" Chark " family. It does sound like, hopefully, you have just created the best kind of " Little Junkie ". A fishing Junkie! I'll bet the " Little Mr. " won't leave you alone from now on about the fishing trips. hahahaha

May the rest of your trips be plentiful.

Posts: 893 | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Awesome report. I bet you cannot wait until the next trip already. What a blast.

LT

Posts: 86 | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah! I think the April 08 Shogun 8 day might be his next. And by then he should be able to cast his own bait (G)
If something else interesting opens up I might fly him out sooner although we will still do 2.5 dayers while hes on summer vacation.
The bad part is he refers to smaller fish as rats now <g>
MMM

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
well trained , keep up the good work.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
The prose was an amplitude of poetic symmetry aligned with a passion for the subject matter.

In simple words great stuff and well voiced worthy of an A+.

Smiler

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
very nice

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
hhhhuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, speak english lol.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!