CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Long Range SD Reports    the spirt of adventure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the spirt of adventure
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted
5 day trip report for 06/27/07 , well fellas the weather down to cedros was bad but once gotten there it was great 30 to 40 lb yellowtail fishing,mostly on irons with slow retrieve off the bottom, water was still cold and had a major problem with seals. great halibuts and seabass in the mix but most guys were fishing for tunas, the ride back up , they have spotted about 15 boats offshore with the biggame 90 taking the lead with 70 albies and a few bluefins on a overnighter.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Great!

Fosho, how were the irons fished off the bottom?

Is it a long cast, sink to bottom, slow sweep upwards of rod, drop the tip and wind slowly, stopping every X feet to let the lure settle again?

Or a vertical drop then jig with rests between lifts?

My only time at Cedros I fished live bait.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
well planet that all depends on were the fish are, for an example if the yellows are on the boil, i would cast out and grind fast retreve . if the fish are on the bottom ,i would cast out , sink for a few sec, and grind back up.in some situations you really dont want to drop straight down, if the fish takes it on the drop they can take your line under the boat and may cause a breakage or prop wrap.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
also would like to add, if the fish are on the bottom and the water is cold, the fish can be a bit more slugish , i would slow retreve off the bottom.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!