Notify
Tools

RRIII Lupe Trip!
 Login/Join

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Beth
posted
Well, Matt and I just got back from our 4 day charter. We started at the Lupe hoping for yellowfin and it was an insane day! We were surrounded by great whites and were loosing as many as we were landing but it was fun! Almost everyone caught 2-3 yellowfin with some yellowtail mixed in. It was work and the trick was to just put the fish into free spool when it got spooked and keep up a tight line. That way the shark got someone else's fish and you could land yours. Most of us were fishing 40# with floro. We all got to fish the kite as well!

I started the day on Matt's JX 2 speed and one of Mark's sticks, the WC 865XH C. This rod worked the heck out of my back cause it wasn't a great fit for me, but dang! I had a great time with it. Now I need to add the JX 2 to my pile of rods.

One of the guys (Jose) on the trip had some beautifully wrapped rods and I'm kind of tempted to have him wrap me one or two as soon as I win the lottery.

I ended the day with 3 nice fin and an ok sized tail. We tried for squid that night but it wasn't happening

The next day was a tougher day. It started out with guys hooking up mackerel on gangion rigs. I woke up to late so I didn't get to try it but it sounded cool. Catching 4 baits at a time? I wanna do that some day.

As the day wore on there were more sharks, less fish and the wind was picking up. I hooked up a nice fin and landed it as well as an ok tail. We all caught a bunch of calico, really nice ones but Andy didn't want to keep them.

Late afternoon nothing was biting cept the tax collecter so we took off toward the alby grounds.

Man! As we were leaving the wind and the swells were getting crazy. The next morning at breakfast all the conversation was people laughing about getting thrown out of bed! The weather did not get better as the day went on. We lost a lot of people to naps, watched several DVD's and those brave enough to hang out back were getting great calf work outs. We basically trolled all day for albys but only took 2. One was trolled and I think the other was caught on the slide.

Anyway, we woke up just outside of SD, anchored so we didn't come in to early. It was an awesome group, very cool and fun people. The crew, as usual, were amazing!

I will only speak for myself and I think Matt when I say I had the best time! I am so happy that I got to go. I really hope to see all these guys again, either in the shop or at Fred Hall! I'm happy to have met all of you.

Pics will be coming soon!

Beth

Posts: 75 | Registered: 29 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Nice report Beth and way to go for the Charksters thant went to the Lupe and make them count. The reports were dismale untill the Chark crew got there.

Posts: 402 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
It's great that you and Matt had a chance to get out for a nice trip. Hoping ya get out there again soon. Do ya ever get to try out some new stuff (as in a beta test) too?

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Beth - sounds like a great trip - awesome that you and Matt got out - sorry I missed it this year...

Posts: 166 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Planet,

I just wanted to let you know that a couple of reels were bata tested by Matt. Way to go charhcrew.

Posts: 402 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks, SoCalAngler!

When I see you post, I instantly think of bonefish! :-)

Appreciate the info. I wondered how Matt knew so much about the new fishing material. It is a mixed blessing to beta test, I imagine--when the material is inadequate and one has a fish on. Takes a dedicated fisherman with a keen interest in technology. I feel fortunate that I know Matt, he has always answered my questions with astute professional knowledge...

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post