11/01/06 RRIII
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted
Chark,
Hi Mark,
Keta=Lee
I was going to call you yesterday but I got busy and this will save you the phone charge.

It looks like the fish, so far, have been a bit smaller than last year and I'm considering dropping down on my gear size. So far I've packed 3 50's (2 Avet SDS's and a Penn 50SW), 1 30 (Avet Pro 30), 2 4/0 (an EX and an EXW set up for 50lb-60lb), 3 40lb setups (2 JX single speed, 1 JX 2 speed and a LX 2 speed) and a 30lb (Avet MXL) for intertainment.

My rods for 50lb-60lb are a bit on the heavy side for 50lb-60lb (IGFA 60lb rated rods) and are 7' long but they should work.

My question is, should I bring a lighter rod for the 50lb? How long of rod should a stubby guy like me use for 50lb? Should I consider a shorter rod for live bait and a second longer rod for tossing iron and bombs?

Funding is a bit tight this year (duh! Farms and ranches run on diesel and gas) so I really would rather use what I currently have. The price of a new rod isn't that much compared to the total cost of a LR trip.

I know that whatever I bring it will not be the right thing.

See you in a few weeks

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty well covered on the heavier gear too. But, I'll have my Newell 533 5.5:1 and LX 2 speed with 50# on a 7 foot Calstar WC610...but will probably still grab a 700H or 6470H from Calstar and Seeker (respectively)...unless I go masochistic and do an 8 footer for tossing the bombs and jigs to wahoo.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1350 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
I really didn't want to give you more of my money but I might have to pick up one more rod. On the way to SD we'll swing by your store and let you look at what I have and decide what I'll do.

My 40lb rods are, 2 Seeker 6465H's and 1 6470H. I fished them with 50 last winter at Hurricane Bank and they worked well on the "smaller" YFT (60+) and wahoo. I feel they were over kill on the San Lucas Cove area dodo and YT though.

My LX will work too, I have it "turned down" to 16lbs but it will go up to 19-1/2lbs without getting bound up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Keta,

Captain
posted Hide Post
Keta,

Just got back in from trip #25 on the Rooster. All of our fish where on 40# and 60# tipped with flor. My penn 30sw's-50sw's and 80sw never had the reel covers taken off of them. (The crew wouldn't let me use my 80 on the kite, had to use a boat pole)
About all we used was LX-JX and Shimano Trinadad 30's. We used penn 30 one speeds for droppers,troll and chunk.

Get Bent

Posts: 77 | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Thanks "T". I have everything packed but I'm heavy in the 40-60 range. I do have lots of 40 & 50 flouro packed.

Was the boats kite rod a big Accurate on a XXXX Seeker?

I'd like to use my Penn 50SW for kite fishing this trip.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Don't know what rod it was but the Accurate was huge about the size of a penn 130.

Perhaps if you assert yourself they'll let you use your 50, me I just went with the flow.

OOOOOOMMMMMMME

Get Bent

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
I get along well with the RRIII crew so if it can be done it will. If they have a reason they will tell me why. The last kite fishing I did on the RRIII, at Hurricane Bank, was with the boats Seeker XXXX rod and their Accurate 80. So far I haven't caught any larger fish, cows, on the kite but I have several kite caught fish in the 150-190 range.

BTW,
Are you the guy that pimps beercan boats in the Portland area?

Captain
posted Hide Post
Don't know about pimping them. I do own a 23 ACB and LOves the hell outa it. But, I work as a Dry Wall contractor in the Seattle area.

I've PMed with your brother on that place your not allowed to go anymore. By the way what did you do to piss off Jeannie so much?

Get Bent

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
OK, you are not Scott then. I think I know who you are now.

As for the other place, I posted the truth too often and a few there couldn't handle it.

Captain
posted Hide Post
You really don't know who I are. But you can at least see what I look like.

Trip #25 RR III

http://web.mac.com/psean/iWeb/Fishin/Welcome.html

Get Bent

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
No, I have you confused with another Greater Seattle IFISHER.

Are you to Joe's right or between John and Julio? Big Grin

BTW, nice YFT, here's one of the nicer ones I have caught. Notice Julio is really the one holding up this fish.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Funny man!!!!!

But I guess any man with a full "GRAY BEARD" is O.K. in my book.

Nice to meet you Lee.

Get Bent

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of HOGGEM'IN
posted Hide Post
Howdy T-Rex where abouts in Seattle do U live? I lived in Ballard till 1979 and went to Loyal Heights Grade school and a 1/2 year at Marcus Whitman Jr high. so that makes me 40 this year. Just woundering if I know U or U might know some guys I hung around when I lived up there.

My mane is Mike Potts but back then my last name was Tracy

Posts: 69 | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I live in Auburn, been in the Great Northwet for about 25 years. Lived in San Diego for about 15. That's when I met up with the Palm family. I spend my formative years in Colorado, before I joined my Uncles Navy.

Get Bent