CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Long Range SD Reports    CharkBait 6 day fishing trip on the Royal Polaris
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CharkBait 6 day fishing trip on the Royal Polaris
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
First of all want to thank the Royal Polaris and crew for the job they did on the trip. They away do the best job out there.

We got the boat loaded and headed out to get bait, bait was super nice. headed to check in so we can fish the land of the lost. We fished off shore for one day to help fill the boat. I got 2 of the bigger Dorado one on the surface iron one on bait. The one that got the jig was on a OCT-10 Moss Back (this one was 18 lbs). The other ate a sardine on my dodo rod with marching reel(this one was 15 lbs). The boat got it trip limit of dodos,all from around 8-18 lbs.

That nigh we headed to the Lupe. When we got there we make bait right away.
The yellow tail started to bite around 8 am each day. There was a few way we used to fish for then, one was fly line mac or sardine, another way way was to make a dropper loop and send you bait to the bottom, then what i used the most was a 2-3 oz egg weight with a 6/0 hook and 60 lb line got a few good yellow tail that way. The yellow tail ranged from 10-50 lbs and you better be ready to get you butt kicked by them.

The yellow fin tuna was so cool this year. They range from 100 lbs to 150 and bigger. I got one bigger tuna on bait but i got taxed. Got bit again and same thing.
We hooked a lot of fish, but the amount we got was 20% on the boat, of what we hooked we had fish from 90-150 lb on this trip.
the best was to fish for the tuns was using 100 lb sunline and a reel to match (that was the biggest thing you must have the right gear for these fish rods, reels, hooks and line. If you don't your going to be under gunned and you might get bite but not get to see the fish)
The boat used 6/0 or bigger hook and to start out with 100 lb line.

So over all it was such a fun trip. Such a cool place to see

So as for gear

Rods-- make sure they can handle 60-150 tuna they are out there just waiting the rod i saw used most and was a good chose was a united composite viper they are rated 80-130lb. And for the yellow tail, a good 50-80 lb rod would be good.

Reels-- make sure you have a good working reel if its been sitting around, please get it serviced so it runs at its best.
For the yellow tail we used jx raptors Makaira 10 and 16. For the tuna use no smaller than a Makaira 16 if you have a mk 20 or a mk 30 that would be a good reel to use.

Hooks-- I would have 4/0-8/0 hooks and make sure you have a good amount of them just in case you get rocked to just brake off

Line-- 60-130 line is the go to size. Sunlie and Izor was the what i used for my line

Weighs-- 2-3 oz egg sinkers for yellow tail fishing and 16-28 oz torpedos

A few yellow tail did hit the yo yo jig and surface iron as well, always have them ready to go.

So as for what i did my yellow tail set up was a jx raptor with 60 lb 16 strand hollow core braid and then for the top shot i used filled the rest up with 60 lb izor fist string blue just did that because of tangles, hook was a 6/0 with a 2 oz egg weight,The rod was a United Composite ce 700 xxh 50-80 lb
tried the yo yo jig and got hit a few time and tried the surface iron and got 2-3 that way.

As for the tuna i started out with a Makaira mk 16 with 80 lb 16 strand hollow core braid to a wind on leaders. The wind on leaders used, i make some that had 100 lb sunline one them. Thwy were my to go leaders, eith a 6/0 or bigger hook.
As for the rod i used a Calstar 665xh its old school. But still does the job. With that being said i do wish i had the united composite Centaur, mush better rod for this fishing.

For pictures please look at the Royal Polaris webpage
thanks for reading this, if you have any questions on your up coming trip please give the shop a call

Thanks Eric Prather and CharkBait crew

Posts: 1 | Registered: 05 October 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post