CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Long Range SD Reports    Vagabond 6/28-7/1 Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vagabond 6/28-7/1 Report
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Reel'n Rod
posted
Thanks for the introduction to the Vagabond guys. Captain Mike Lackey is a real nice guy and runs a top notch fishing machine.

The Report-I arrived at the Point Loma dock about 10am Thursday morning after a 3 hour flight and 10 minute cab ride. The Vagabond was docked with a couple of guys already boarding. I scurried down to the boat and placed my rod case upright in a trash can, my tackle case on the rack and my clothes bag under the rack out of the way.

I then made my way back up to the Point Loma office and upstairs to the Vagabond office. There I found Capt. Mike. Capt. Mike instantly said you must be Rod. Ya reckon it was my Okie' accent that gave me away. LOL. I said yes and he introduced me to Steve Mesner who was to be the Charter Master for our trip. I didn't even know we had a charter master, just that it was a limited load trip (21). Capt. Mike said there was some confusion and I had been assigned to a galley level cabin which Steves guys were in. I told Capt. Mike any bunk would be fine for me and he reassigned me to a cabin under the bait tank. What I didn't tell him was that when I booked the charter in Feb. I asked for the galley cabin and particular bunk. However, I was not unhappy about the reassignment and the bunk was actually larger that any I have ever had. The cabin was smaller that any I had ever been in but, I am in the cabin only to change clothes and sleep. As it turns out I am the only passenger on this charter not directly invited by the Charter Master and this was a great group of people. Most all were experienced fisherman, most were from California, one from Idaho, a couple from Kansas.

We did the usual introductions and tackled up as we headed out for the bait reciever about noon. After filling the bait holds we headed out in hopes of finding the Albacore in close we cleared the point about 3pm. Cheese and crackers for snacks and I was hungry as I had not eaten that day. For the first time I grabed my clothes bag and headed down to my cabin. The cabin was very clean with made beds but it had a fuel smell which turned my stomach a little. I quickly got back up in the freash air. I have been on about 24 mini long range trips and had never been sick but this was going to change this trip. I returned to my cabin which still had that fuel smell and forced my self to stay until I had changed clothes. When I finally came up to the deck everything in me, whick wasn't much, came up to. So, I hugged the rail for a couple of minutes. Whew, glad that was over. I was ready to fish now.

The fishing-We started trolling maybe 50-60 miles out. Nice weather conditions with 4-8' seas. A little rough for some and 3-4 folks stayed below alot. For all of our efforts this afternoon we caught 1 albacore about 20 lbs. I was thinking to myself that this may be a long boat ride for the next few days. Prime Rib for dinner that night.

Fridays fishing was much different. I was up at 4am for a shower and coffee. By 5am I was on deck trolling at grey light, we were about 100 miles south southwest. 70+ fat albies on board by noon. There was a lull in the fishing for a couple of hours then things really started turning on. The albacore were hitting jigs after short a troll and we caught bait fish with our 3-6" sardines on every stop. The later it was in the day the hotter the fishing action was. We fished until after dark which is hard in an albie bite because we couldn't see our line. Tangles started happening that were tough to unravel. We shut the fishing down about 9:30 and had boated over 200 albacore along with 3 bluefin. Rico from Long Beach was on a 57 lb bluefin for 1 1/2 - 2 hours with 30lb line. What a fight. It took him around the boat 9 times and the reel he was using started breaking up. The crew tied another reel on and Rico finally managed to boat his bluefin.

With near limits of Albacore Capt. Mike moved us back east to within 50 miles of the Mexican coast and back up the line north in hopes of finding more bluefin. Saturday was the day which we picked at the albies all day and had our limits by 5pm. We never found more of the elusive bluefin. The seas calmed a little Saturday night and we had a fairly comfortable ride back in to Point Loma. My large fish was 32 lbs the smallest about 20 lbs.

Some of the stuff that worked for me wasJoe Green Jig, Green & Black, Lime Green and Yellow along with most anything in your tacklebox when they were hitting hard. The bait fish were caught on sardines. The hotter the better. With the dark color backed sardines working best for me. I used a 1/0 circle hook on 30# izorline xxx and 30# flurocarbon leader under 24". The long leader is not necessary and slows the casting when going through the eye of the rod. I lost one fish to a pulled hook and one fish to fluoro that broke at the splice knot. When the action was heavy and after I had near limits I changed to my 40# rig using 40# fluro. I seemed to get bit alot less often but still had some good action on 3-4 fish. I switched back to my 30# rig to finish off my last two albies. I guess the main thing was if you wanted fish was to keep a hook in the water. We tagged out a couple of people in the galley and in their bunk. But, it was all in fun.

I had a great time with a great bunch of people and would do it again. Thanks to Capt. Mike Lackey and a very good crew.

Posts: 70 | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of AzFish
posted Hide Post
NICE!! Looks like yet another good trip!

Posts: 131 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
congrats on the trip. so much to say with a little time to fish , glad it was all well in hand.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Nice report. Excellent catches.

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 142 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Nice, very nice. Good to read of your success. Believe me we all wish we were with you. Which one in the pic is you. I like to put a face with an adventure.

Walt

Posts: 343 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Reel'n Rod
posted Hide Post
This is one of my pics Walt.

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
reel and rod could you put my fish back and go catch your own, lol.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Reel'n Rod
posted Hide Post
Louie... I swore I saw you on another boat June 28th at the bait reciever out of San Diego. I hollared Louie...But the guy was trying to catch fish at the reciever and ignored me. Must not have been you. Big Grin

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
Great action packed report...Like your style and success.

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I am going to try this boat pretty soon, isn't he (Capt. mike Lackey) an HONEST TO GOODNESS CERTIFIED BLUEFIN GURU or something like that ? Oh no, here it comes GABE, GABE, That is a compliment - tuna brain !!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post