CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Long Range SD Reports    Ideal place on LR boat?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideal place on LR boat?
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
posted
Suppose you were the first person on a LR boat and could put your rods and tackle anywhere. Where would yyou put them? Near the bait tank? Near the bow? Where and why?

Posts: 264 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
AK,
Have not been on any long range trips yet, only up two 3 day'ers. There may other considerations because of trip length but I believe the same reasoning applys reguardless of trip length. Here is what I do and WHY I do it.

Almost all Captians will approach a sonar mark or patty the same way each time. That is, they will always approach with the targht with the starboard side to windward or vise versa. I take the same boats on a regular basis so I pretty much know what the captian will do 90% of the time. If on a new boat just pay attention on the first few stops and you will most likely see a pattern develope. Consequently if he usually approaches a mark with the starboard side to windward I store my rods on the port or lee side of the boat towards the bow. Being on the lee side makes life a lot eaiser when you need to make tackle adjustments or have to re-tie. Also if you store rods towards the stern every guy who needs a rod is going to play bumber cars with you on his way to his equiptment. Storing rods towards the bow drastically reduces interference from other anglers and makes life eaiser. Yes it will be a few more steps but inconsequential when the convience is considered.

Bag storage: I look for a place that is sheltered from the bow spray when under way. Usually directly behind the galley area. Keeping my "Stuff" from getting soaked makes the trip a lot more pleasent.

As always, my opinions for your consideration.

Walt

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Big Fish
posted Hide Post
A lot of the long-range boats actually have numbered and assigned places for a limited number of rods which are usually assigned to match up with your "bunk" or sign-in number so it doesn't matter if your the 1st or the last person to board the boat you'll have some assigned slots. Any extra rods are placed whereever you can find space. I always like to keep my tackle bag out the main flow of traffic so it not a hassle to get to, but yet is accessible. Where ever you place your stuff, it's usually guaranteed that it'll get somewhat moved around. Have a good trip!

Posts: 73 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
GOOD COMMENTS FELLAS, what i like to do is, i keep the main tackle bag in my state room.
i wear a plano purse like three compartment bag , that belts around your waist. so on a regular basis, i run down to the room and reload on what im going to use.

as for rods, i like to keep it away from heavy traffics. like whats posted above, you do have assaigned slots, but if there is extras, i,ll move them to the bow.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I have only been on one trip and it was on the Excel. After my trip, I read a post on another site where this fellow says he puts most of his gear up on the 2nd deck because he can have access to it without any other folks around. Plus, being higher gets it out of the inevitable spray. Next year, I will use the upper rod racks for my extra rods and use the two spaces alloted on the tackle rack for my most used gear.

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post