Find
Notify
Tools

Wide open albacore!
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted
Well I made my summer migration to San Diego for tuna. The reports were 1/2 to 1 fish per rod prior to our trip. My budy lives in Newport beach so I got to visit Charbait for the first time and met Mark. I hopped on the Prowler for an overnighter. Well the tuna were only 35 miles from Pt. Loma so we got there early. They would not hit the troll much but the captain would locate a school and circle and chum and see if they came up. Until 10am we would get a few each stop. A buddy I met and I would have a nice dean off the corner on the slide and by 10am I had 4 fish. All nice 20-25lbs. Used by new Tourqe 200 from Charbait and I was amazed at the performance. I was concerned about it having no cast controls but it cast like a dream and I was getting my deans so far out I got a few complements. No backlashes at all. 30lb test with a 2 1/2 ft. flouro. After the afternoon lull the fish went stupid. Every one hooked up even the guys dropping the baits by the boat. I ended the day with 5 fish and a couple lost in the mayhem. Boat total was around 70 for 33 people. One of my fish got hit by a mako which cleanly took the tail off. It followed it to the boat and the deckhand just gaffed it in time. Great crew and a fun trip.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
MrTuna,

Nice, very nice report. Always great to see someone have a successufl adventure. And you did fantastic. The boat avearage was 2.1 tuna per person , you got 5 on deck and lost 2. Your 5 puts you at a level 2.4 times as good as the average. Good job.

Congrats
Walt

Posts: 343 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
sounds like a good report.

p/s that mako is up for grabs, i,ll getum lol.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
Thanks Walt. It really helps to have experience. I am glad that everyone got some fish because they were getting frustrated when my buddy and I had 4 fish and most had none. The captain came down in the afternoon and made sure that everyone got one. He would pick a good bait for them and cast for them.

Hey Louie,
I will give you my tuna tails since the makos are biting on them!

Chad

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post