CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Long Range SD Reports    Royal Polaris Charter September
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Royal Polaris Charter September
 Login/Join

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted
Late trip report from our RP charter in September. Great bunch of guys, some new to the game and some very experienced old hands. About 1/3 were also on previous charters with us on this ride. The bad first, boat's AC was on the blink. Not so comfortable down in the staterooms, no ventilation and it was HOT, especially as we got down to the ridge. It appeared that there were some repairs being made when we got back, and that should help the guys going out after us. Good for them, but darn hot for us. Roy, as always, did a great job and was by far the most helpful guy on the boat. The crew may have been B team with the exception of Chris and Eddy who are always excellent. I'd say they were short a deckhand and the second ticket seemed like he'd have preferred to have been somewhere else, kind of surely and got frustrated quickly in the opinion of some on the boat and I'd be inclined to concure. So, from a crew standpoint, I'd give it a B minus. I didn't like the way folks were expected to drag fish around on the boat rather than the crew helping move the fish after gaff. But, this could be a function of limited crew aboard or simply a way to have less guys at the rail during a hot bite when gaffs were needed.

Now for some positives, could be some of the best food I've had on a boat - I'd say just as good as the Rooster when Chaps is running the galley. Roy is a great skipper and so much fun to fish with, as is Chris. Eddy is a pro, too. The fishing was good and I think everyone was happy with the results. Not always easy fishing with new folks, some of whom just didn't listen. Heck, the last day's bite was excellent on dorado but still there were three guys who were on the wrong side of the boat and/or fishing iron when the skipper said...a few times...fish bait for dodos NOT iron. Well, in the heat of things stuff can happen. But, on the other hand those guys were so darn much fun back in the galley - a real hoot. Old timers on their first LR charter - wonderful stuff.

Memorable guys on the trip, a couple father/son teams, an old fireman who had a wealth of experience, one of our long term buddies who made the drive out from Texas to enjoy the fishing. A couple guys who battled with life threatening illness and circumvented doctors orders by going out on a boat...and did great, too. All in all a great time was had by all. Sure, there was room for improvement, we didn't score the wahoo count that the Rooster did and our largest fish was only 44 lbs, but I've seen smaller fish on a 6 day...just not this year. We had some very good fishing for yellowtail, crazy starving yellowfin on the ridge and a couple dorado bites that were just fantastic. Some of the largest sheepsheads I've seen, several of 'em. Fun stuff, and a great bunch to fish with.

GS<
MS

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Posts: 1340 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Just heard that the fellow who won the jackpot fish, fished jigs and poppers over bait and kicked butt, had his spinning reel ripped off while aboard the boat. This would have happened after cleaning the gear at the end of the trip. Reel was in a case, left on deck overnight. (Not a good practice, but never a worry on a LR trip in my experience). His Stella was stollen. Could have been a fisherman, could have been a deckhand. Could be that someone will be posting this reel on bd or eBay. Not good.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1340 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post