New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shogun 8 day report
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
We killed em' all, and let Mario's, 5 Star and The Smoked Fish Co. sort em' out.
YellowFin and Yellow Tail, Alijo's Rocks, Alijo's Banks and Cedros Island.
Will elaborate later upon regaining conciousness.
MMM

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
Shogun is a nice boat. How was Cedros? I was there last July on the Shogun and it was non-stop yellowtail. Sounds like a fun trip.

Chad

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 145 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Cedros was great,although kinda bumpy and spotty till we went to the leeside,but after 12 hrs. of pounding (coming from Alijos)it was fine.
I can't say enough about the Shogun and her crew, they were the most professional outfit I have ever encountered in my short fishing foray.
I am actually a very pessimistic person but I had a smile from the time I got to the landing. And the wealth of talent amongst the passengers was amazing. The likes of Archie, Steve, Dorado Dave and Brad (of the cannon arm) and 86 year old H.B.and the rest of these Gentlemen (and I mean that) what I learned was worth every dollar I spent and then some.
Heck I had over 700 lbs. of fish to process and I was at the bottom of the list.
And being my 1st. longrange trip I was amazed at the way things go upon return, we are treated like returning heros! The landing all roped off and guarded and seeing all those fish laying around.
I am simply stoked! on the 13th. of May I go out on the Indy for 6 days and other than a larger stateroom I just don't think it can get much better.
MMM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mnrd55,

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
sound like you kicked a%$, right on . by any chance , were there big boils at cedros and how big are they. p/s nice volcano, did you see it.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update on The Shogun...I have a10 day this winter and have been listening to the nighlty reports from big fish happen...aka Shelly & Bruce web site.

Did you get to fish the kite? I am interested in that technique as my trip is my first 10 day event.

What stateroom do you recommend I request?

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
ask for 4 thru 8, front gets nasty if bumpy and 9-12 are against the engine firewall.
You only fish the kite/balloon if they won't bite closer in. And if and when you kitefish/troll is decided by Norms lottery, the number pulled is the starting point for the rotation.
Your going to love it, this is one boat deserving of a 15-20% tip.
If you have a 800H style rod, bring it and or practice your casting, getting away from the boat helps.

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
thanks mnrd55

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
Mnrd55. You got to fish with Dorado Dave????

That old timer is hysterical. He was on my trip I took at Christmas 2006.

He was just this funny, grumpy, codger, who would gripe at the Cook for " Crappy Coffee " and it was worse than road kill.

He would blurt stuff out that had all the passengers in stitches. He is a blast to have on board.

Congrats on your fishing success. I personally love the " Stones " The Shogun is a great fishing platform and has an excellent crew.

Posts: 893 | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
He might not be the old guy your thinking of unless your in your 20's. He's actually a ER nurse and he's pictured on the Shogun brochure holding a big yellofin.
I can't wait to meet the folks fishing the Indy next week, I would imagine they will be another great bunch.
It will be nice when my 7 1/2 year old Godson calls his Mom on the satphone, and says "no one even used bad words!"

Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
OKay, there's 2 Dorado Daves.

Oopsie.

Posts: 893 | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
dont mind me butting in , but i now that name from some where. (doradodave).

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post