CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Long Range SD Reports    CharkBait Red Rooster III 10 Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CharkBait Red Rooster III 10 Day
 Login/Join

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted
It's a nice way to spend a few fall days...and nights. The boat arrived back in San Diego Saturday AM with about 600 fish for 30 anglers. We covered almost 1500 miles to scratch out our fish. We started out at Cedros for some yellowtail, hit the Ridge for wahoo and small school grade tuna, went outside Mag Bay to see if the larger fish had arrived - nope, then did the offshore thing for wahoo and lots of dorado, Benitos for yellowtail, and ended up fishing Guadalupe Island for our larger grade jackpot tuna.

I'll make a full post on the website next week, along with lessons learned, video and still pictures. For the fishing we did, a 40#, 50# and trolling rig was about all you really needed unless you also wanted to do some dropper loop fishing.

This was a very mellow group to fish with, all nice guys who were polite at the rail. Everyone participated, and everyone was a joy to fish with - no exceptions. We didn't find the 200 pounders like last year...it's fishing! But, we did catch lots of quality dorado, yellowtail, wahoo and tuna. So, you could say it was a typical fall 10 day trip. All of us ended up with some nice fish to enjoy. I can't wait until next year!!!

GS<
MS

Great Stuff!
Mark

Jackpot

Posts: 1276 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
It was a fun trip and the crew of the RRIII worked hard to get us on the fish. It was also nice to visit with my friends from last year and the "new" friends from this trip.

Thanks again Mark.

We are now fighting snow and possessing our catch. It could be worse, many of our friends further NW are flooded out and more is on the way.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I finally posted our trip report and video from the charter. Here's a link to the vid: http://www.charkbait.com/Video/RRIII_1106_Short.wmv
And, the web-page: http://www.charkbait.com/Charter/2006/RRIII1106.htm

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1276 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
From the viedo the weather looked perfect. Nice report, its always great to see your group have good success.

Walt

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear anytime that the Charkster gets to fish and puts a catch together .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Mark is fun to fish with.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I got a question about knife jigs.

Last trip out Julio told me I should have brought (for Whoo) a couple three. He said I should get pink and whites in size 186. I've look all over the net and can't find a size 186. River2Sea has 180 gram but thats as chose as I can get.

Then he said I was to rig them out with a Owner "stinger" treble (off the tail). Owner doesn't make a "Stinger" in treble. Why would you tie a "dancing stinger" (assist) off the tail?

Knowing my memory the way I do I had him write it down so as I wouldn't get confused. Now I can only think he got confused when he wrote it down.

Get Bent

Posts: 77 | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
I looked around the net for a treble stinger and couldn't find one . One customer used the dancing set up jigging for tuna without a trap hook on top and landed two LFT before he lost the jig . The one that I unhooked had both hooks in the fishes mouth . It took a little work to get them out . The cord between the two hooks looked a little shorter than the ones that I had seen prier to this . Could he have ment to put a treble on the tail end instead of an assist/stinger hook ?

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Well now I know what happened to my first post, but for the life of me I don't know how it got here. I thought I was on the butterfly thread.

Get Bent

Posts: 77 | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
Picture of Steve K
posted Hide Post
Mark, great to hear you guys had a good trip. Lucky to have been able to fish those bigger tuna at the Lupe. Smart move by a smart captain.

Seaya, Steve

Steve K Shorter rods -Longer trips

Posts: 6 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
Great trip guys...you all looked like it was none stop action and bloody decks most of the day... Now how about that Lobster and prime rib...MS knows how to treat us all like kings.

Happy Holiday's to all

SDTuna

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post