CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Gulf Coast Reports    Not a Report but a Few Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not a Report but a Few Questions
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted
Our current "plan" is to drag a 21' boat from Portland, OR to Venice, LA early in March,07 to fish for a month. As of now it's just 2 drivers, the others, that ones that have jobs, will fly down for a week or so.

I would like to get some information on where to fish offshore, what gear we need to bring and where we can camp for a month.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Keta, your timing is right for the tuna bite on the "lump", but you might want to rethink the size of the boat. The seas off the mouth of the river can be really bad during the winter months and you also need to think abot your fuel- its about 35 miles from Venice to the mouth of the river (70 miles round trip just to get to the gulf and back). As far as camp grounds are concerned, almost everyone is still "camping" in Venice, might want to check out some of the camps at Venice Marina(2-3 bdrms w/ kitchenette), stop in Belle Chase for food (about 60 miles north of Venice). Alot of things are NOT back to normal after Katrina but the fishing is great. Any ?'s I'll help if I can.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.

We fish the North Pacific out of the Columbia River and know what bad conditions are like. We also know when to not go out. The owner of the boat we plan on bringing has over 30 years of Oregon offshore experience and I have over 40 years experiance from Northern California to the Gulf of Alaska. We both know when it's time to return to port.

The boat we plan on taking was built for rough water use and holds about 200ga of fuel. With the 90hp Honda range shouldn't be an issue.

When I get back from the Charkbait/RRIII 10 day trip in mid November I'll hit you with some questions.

Here's a picture of some me and two friends returning from a butt trip off of the CR. Notice the ocean conditions, this was on a mid rough but fishable early spring day.

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Meant no disrespect for your experience or that of your friends. I not only fish that part of the GOM, but I work in it as well and was just trying to share some of my experience. Please take no offense if I dont answer back right away as I may be offshore. Good luck on your RR III trip.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
No problem as I didn't consider it disrespect.

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
You can get all the info. you want about Venice and all the guide's reports at www.rodnreel.com. While you are down there you might try some inshore fishing for reds and trout in the masrshes. Also, the Changeleur Islands are just to the east and not a very far run. I don't know what is left after the hurricane last year but you should be able to find out from the above web site. Man, a month in Venice. After that you'll be throwing rocks at Portland and packin a U-haul for a move south.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
quote:
After that you'll be throwing rocks at Portland and packin a U-haul for a move south.

I live 4-1/2 hours south of Portland, OR but that's still to close. In the earily 70's I worked for Hess Oil out of Mobile, AL and couldn't handle the high humidity in the late summer. Alaska was a better place for me.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Guys, I live in TN and have fished once in the Venice area. Was supposed to be going back this weekend, but weather blew out our trip. If you checkout the www.reelpeace.com website, you might pick up a few things.

When we fished with these guys, we would drift live baits around the oil rigs. The gear was quite heavy with line weights north of 50#. The fishing was amazing.

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link.

How far "north" of 50? I'm bringing 2 SDS's loaded with 130 Spectra and 100 mono but, as of now, 60lb and 80lb will be my main gear for the big stuff.

Captain
posted Hide Post
How far north? I asked about bringing my new Calstar 700H with an Avet JX 2 Sp that is loaded with 65# spectra and 40 pound mono. He said I could use it, but on the class of fish they see, he felt it would be light. I would guess they would consider 60 to 80 lite and 80 to 100 right.

The thing that scare me more than anything would be navagating out of the Miss. River. There are a number of small winding ways out that we used. Without local knowledge, I could see you run up on a shrimper hawling out. I think the use these other ways instead of going straight out of the river .

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
I am ordering charts and we will follow someone out the first few times. There is a good chart plotter on the boat and we both have quality handheld GPS's. The boat has a fairly shallow draft and both of us have crossed the Columbia River bar several times.

Thanks for the warning.

I'm bringing all of my JX's and my LX but plan on using my 60/80 (EXW4/0, EX4/0 or Pro 30) or 100/130 (SDS's and Penn 50SW) rigs for most big fish. If I feel this is too heavy I'll break out the JX's or my new AVET 40, if I get it before we leave. My partner in crime will probably fish my spare rods and his 80.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Keta, the charts I am sure will be a big help, but be careful in the channels for boats coming the other way. The one time I fished with these guys, they took us through soem very narrow channels that were also used by the Shrimpers. We were motoring through and out of no where came a Shrimper going full steam. I don't know how we missed them, but luckily we did.