CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Gulf Coast Reports    No YFT love for the Holidays :)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No YFT love for the Holidays :)
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
My buddy went out this past week and I couldn't make it but here is the report Big Grin

So the boss schedules an important meeting at 9 am Thursday that I have to be at. Gotta carry over 10 days of vacation but have to attend this meeting during the Chirtmas holidays... and miss the prime Wed- Thurs weather window.

It'll be ok, the weather man says it'll be less than 2s, then changes it to 2-3s (10 - 15kt) right as we head to the boat. And, he's been holding with that general forecast range for 3 days now.

Fred (Hyperman), Luke (Reeltimeluke), and Sam (Samj) get there and we're off. Got my first omen of things to come when we get to the launch and a buddy says he came in, a little too choppy for him. But he came out of Sargeant to the west and I know it started at 17-21 kts. But it had died down to 12kts now, was out of the west, and he had a smaller boat... And all 5 models I check had at worst, 2-3s...

Broke the jetties and were greeted with 1-2s, 30 mph and this was better than expected. Altimetery looked good, moon only at 1/4, water temp ~70, clear skies - what are we going to do with all the fish?

Get out there and find 2-3s. Fred trolls a Magaroni as we get there, and a small Skipjack right off the bat. Put it back out and a 'cuda is on next.

Settle in to some jigging and see some action on top. Motor to it, start popping and game on - first a Skipjack, then a couple good size bft. Had about 20 minutes of blackfin action on top but big yellow brother didn't show up.

Winds picked up and so did the seas. Maybe saw a total of 3-4 flyers get up the whole night and the other topwater bait action was limited as well. Saw one launch into the wind and it blew him backwards. Got a chuckle out of that - right back into the lion's den!

Nothing ever came up as seas were 4-6s and no bait action to speak of. Sam chunked quite a bit but the wind played havoc with the line and bait didn't really get any depth to it. I tried using a 1/2 oz sinker and Fred went up to 5 oz. No love.

And the fish never really got above 120 ft. They were hanging around 240-360ft so we went down after them. Jigging was the main stay and we did catch quite a few bft but you had to go down and get them. And, Fred is jigging maniac! I thought Luke was a jigging fool but Fred had him beat this trip. Finally had a good pull on a 300g pink goober and turned out to be a 25 - 30# yft! We did catch 2 other bait size yft and thanks to Fred's lesson on their tail structure I can now tell the difference in the juvenile fish.

Morning topwater bite never showed up - neither bft or yft. Maybe that was because of the 20kt wind and 4-6 whitecaps that the weatherman miscalculated! (Checked 60 mile buoy and verified 17 - 21 kt winds at 0750 Fri morning)

Headed home in quartering seas so speed wasn't too bad but the spray got me a little (lot) soggy. Safe trip, great crew, learned some things, no complaints.

1 yft at ~25#, ~30 bft, and a couple skippies as well. Pink and glow 300g goobers and the maguroni on the troll had some success. Oh, yea, tried a new Strike Pro tuna hunter senior and it had success with the bft topwater action. No pics. Tight lines and Happy New Year to

Posts: 4 | Registered: 15 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post