CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Northern California Reports    Albacore and Dorado out of Eureka.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Albacore and Dorado out of Eureka.
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted
A post from another board....

Posted: 03 July 2007 at 6:50pm

-------------------------------------------
It was another great day today out of Eureka.There was a slight wind chop but ocean conditions were quite nice. Saw a jumper at the 124.38 line but kept going to blue water.Dropped in about 41x43 and hooked up pretty quickly.We fished in real blue tuna water about 62.5 degrees. Caught a larger grade than yesterday. Caught a 42 inch dorado on a bait stick with 20# line. Not to be outdone Red Rider caught a dorado and then a guy caught one on a meatline. That's 5 dorado in 2 days out of Eureka in early July. The water looked fantastic. We saw a large something jump clear out of the water and thought it was a porpoise but waited around for it to surface and never saw it again. Would like to know what is was. I expect this coming wind to screw things up for now. Hopefully not too long. The water is really pushing in strong. Our count for the last three days: Sunday 27 albacore,Monday 26 albacore, Tuesday 8 albacore and one dorado. I'll probably be running live bait tuna charters again as soon as conditions allow. Can't wait to get back out there.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
So it is true, Dorados!
Talk to Jim yesterday and his dad said that there were some caught. Couldn't beleive it.
Hope you slay them up there Jan
Good Luck!

Posts: 12 | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
I've been out of action since around the first week of June, had a spasm in the neck area that tore up some stuff and haven’t been able to take the bouncing around in the boat, quite painful.

I went out once for a few hours last week and was able to salmon fish with lots of little guys biting but I only lasted about 3 hours and tossed in the towel. It’s getting better but just a lot slower than I’d like.

Needless to say the local guys are in hog heaven right now with the tuna here, I’m still concentrating on the large Pacific Halibut and big lings as until the tuna come in close (Like about 10 miles) I’m not going to waste the fuel to fish them I’ve caught them by the ton when I was a commercial so it’s hard to get excited about them.

Yellow fin, Yellow tail, Wahoo? Now I’ll get excited. Lol

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
My friends have been slaughtering the albacore (30-60 per boat) about 25 miles NW of Depoe Bay, about 18 miles offshore, and I'm stuck feeding livestock. They said that they were running between 25-28 pounds.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JanZ:
I've been out of action since around the first week of June, had a spasm in the neck area that tore up some stuff and haven’t been able to take the bouncing around in the boat, quite painful.

I’m still concentrating on the large Pacific Halibut and big lings

Tell your doctor to kick down, you have to fish.
Hope you get better fast Jan.

What size Lings have you been pulling on?

Posts: 12 | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Just little guys 15-18# but I lost one that was 40+ at the cape, he hitchhiked up on a 6 pound rockfish and spit it just as I was going for the gaff, damn what a monster ling.

I want a rematch!

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
So I am expected to believe that the Dorado are running in 58-61 degree waters and that they decided to not show up in San Diego and the surrounding areas in force?
I saw a pic on Bayside in Santa Cruz and the dodo looks a little freezer thrashed.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
CaptG,
When we see dodo's up here in Oregon, extremely rare, they come out of the water looking pretty tough. For the last few years we, Deope Bay and Garabaldi, are also catching albacore before they show up further south. The migration is not a north south thing as much as a east west thing up here.

Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Hey Grumpy I got your freezer thrashed BS right here.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/northern-california-i...6-eureka-dorado.html

This is no internet BS, this fish and others were got here off Eureka, these guys are straight shooters and work hard at the oppertunites when we get them here.

Mayby you could get your eyes checked.

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
ohho its getting hot here , im out.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
louie,
This is about as hot as it gets here, not much flaming. BTW, I do know how to flame and I'm highly capable of being an asshole but this board is not the place for it.

Grumpy,
Although it's rare, we do see Dorado as far north as the Central Oregon coast. Friends I trust have boated a few of them and in the last few years YT are becoming more common, not many of them but they are showing up. I don't know Jan except through the internet but he has always come across as a honest person and I have no doubt that what he posted was true.

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
keta , you did say (he). with the name jan z i would guess its a she.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Jan is a popular name in Europe, probably other places to.

It is unsettling that these fish are showing--suggests something weird either about the fish or the water. Maybe it's bait scarcity, but more worrisome is a disruption in the currents--the whole "fresh water diluting the salt water and inducing an ice age" thing. Does this happen in la nina or el nino years? Does it cycle?

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Louie, wrong guess, Dutchman

Captain
Picture of Reel'n Rod
posted Hide Post
Always nice to put a face with a name. Thanks Jan Z.

Posts: 70 | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post