CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Northern California Reports    Not much going on since the tuna bite
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not much going on since the tuna bite
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted
Salmon and rockfish of course but thats if you can get out.

The wind and wave machine went into overdrive and the northerlies started blowing again so it cooled the water off a bunch.

The ocean conditions have sucked for the last 10 days or so, a few hardy souls went out and paid thier dues to Neptune (Got pounded) and ended up with a few albacore last week but they earned every fish the hard way.

Looking at the free Terrafin theres a lot of 55-57 degree water right off Eureka right now with some warm stuff out there a ways.

If the north wind would quit and the westerlies kick in we might get another shot at some Tuna.
(Providing the wave machine gets turned off)

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it, Jan--very frustrating.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
That sucks Jan. hope it get better soon.
Jim went up last week and didn't gat a chance to fish.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
I went out today and fished salmon, got lots of silvers, water's too cold for tuna, and I tried halibut fishing and the current drift was 2 knots so you couldn't hold the gear near the bottom even with a 2 pound lead.

I finally tossed in the towell amd called it a day. I think I'll launch out of Trinidad tomorrow if I feel up to it and fish rockfish and lings.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post