Find
Notify
Tools

Salmon Season Opener
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted
Report from my dad on opening day out of Bodega bay. Early season is always rough water and small fish. We started out by running out to the
weather buoy. 8.5' swell and thick fog. the water was too clear with no
bait. we trolled for a while with no action. heard some reports of
fish somewhat south of the head in 300' of water. water looked good and
lots of bait on the meter. after about 15min. i hooked this 7lb.
salmon 30' down on a watermelon apex. he fought so hard i thought he
was a bigger fish. We thought we would have some more in
short order. we trolled for 4 more hrs. with no more bites. by this
time we had a 15kt wind and a 10' swell. we got tired of getting beat
up and went in at 1pm. the game warden said he saw very few fish come
in today.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 145 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Eureka opens up on Saturday the 5th.

I may take the Camera down to the ramp for some pictures as opening day is a lot like the scene in Jaws when they put out the reward for the shark.

And of course the Coasties will be out in force trying to protect some who don't beleive in boat maintenance from themselves.

CDFG will be out looking to reap some rewards from the unwary in the form of citations.

I do need to get out this week and shake it down and see if I can catch some bait.

I also heard that thre have already been some small halibut caught in Humboldt bay so if true it's a great sign.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
I did not know Humbolt Bay was a good halibut spot. I used to fish San Francisco Bay and Tomales bay all the time for halibut. I love trolling for halibut. The water temp must be getting right for the spawners to come into the bay!

Chad

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 145 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Chad some years are better than others here, I think a lot has to do with the upwelling and the ammount of bait that's here.

I was told by a F&G biologist that our halibut come from as far south as Santa Barbara so they are highly migratory and probably have some 6th sense about when it's good feeding here.

I know that 4 years ago I did well on them here and 3 years ago it tapered off, the last two years have been zero fish according to the creel census folks with the F&G.

The other issue here is weather, it gets real snotty in the winter and it rains a bunch so the runoff into the bay raises the turbidity and drops the salinity to the point where the Halibut that stay here go outside to deeper water.

Of course all winter long we have rotten sea conditions for most of the winter so a small boat fisherman isn't going to venture out into 15-20 foot swells to fish for halibut.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post