CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Northern California Reports    WHAT!!! ... A fish report from Jan???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHAT!!! ... A fish report from Jan???
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted
Whats the world comming to???

Ran out of the jaws (Humboldt Bay) to 250' due west, made a drop with a B-2 squid and a Dollar Tree glow stick drifted for about 100 yards and bam! 16# (Gutted) pacific butt.

Looked around and decided the day and great conditions were to nice to waste and made the run to the false cape (About 20 NM) got seven real nice fat rockfish, lost a monster ling hitch hiker that let go just as I grabbed the gaff darn it.

Great water conditions, tons and tons of bait out there, every rockfish I pulled up was puking Krill and the meter was going bonkers all the way down and back from the bait.

All in all a great day's fishing...Even with doing a graceful splat flat on my back into the water right at the ramp while crawling out of the boat.

Yes... Lots of witnesses, so untill further notice my new radio handle is "Grace"

There was a radio report of a hot bite in 200 feet of water off centerville beach at about 2:00 PM if you are going tomorrow.

GPS odometer said 72 miles, fuel gage said I used ten gallons, not too bad for a tupperware boat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JanZ,

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Nice report JanZ,
Always good to see the PB'ers hit a good bite. 16# Halibut, nice, just right for the grill at party time.

You got my interest when you mention with the milage you got with your boat. 7 mpg is outstanding. What boat and motor do you have? Am considering taking the plunge but getting 2 mpg is not for me. 7 mpg I can live with.

Walt

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Walt I've just got a puddle jumper, it's the Triumph 150-CC with a Yamaha 40 four stroke.

Were I to do it all over again I'd go with the 17 footer (170-CC) and the 60 hp.

http://www.triumphboats.com/index.cfm

I'm pretty much a one man operation so the little rig works out fine for me.

My best milage was last year keeping the speed down to 20 or under I was able to get 8.78 mpg over 2 full 21 gallon tanks of fuel.

The trouble is that when I'm making the 20 plus mile run from Humboldt Bay to Cape Mendocino I'm not going to poke along at 18-20...mobetta 25-30 so I can spend more time fishing.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post