Find
Notify
Tools

Eureka report 6/4
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted
Lots of salmon, lots of bait, butts are biting, rockfish and lings are to be had if you fish the Cape or Trinidad.

Pretty much a fishermans smorgassboard, as usual though the weather is still a big factor, cold, wind (North and South)and a good sized lump and now a little rain to wash away the dust.

The salmon bite hasn't been spectacular even though there's lots of fish, the ammount of bait in the water makes it like throwing hamburgers at a steak fry.

Lots of sub-legal Kings and tons of hungry silvers mixed in and a few 25 to 30 plus fish in there to keep it interesting for those that are persistant.

Apex in green/silver and blue/silver are hot. Hootchie/bait combos are also a good bet with the traditional favorite purple haze in the lead.

The halibut (To 50+#) are being taken on a varity of stuff from Mudrakers, B-2 squids, bait and various other plastic jig bodies out in 200+ feet of water.

The wind has made it hard to fish deep with the need to use a 3 pound lead to hold the bottom due to the speed of the drift.

The rockfish and lings are the same with the fishermen saying the drift speed is the problem.

I got out Saturday and Sunday for halibut without much success, got a few sole, lots of skates (One that was at least 40#) and some sharks.

Tried the salmon with lots of short biters and shakers so it keeps you awake while you're out there.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
What the heck is a butt?

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Butt......Slang for Halibut

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
oh that was pretty obvious. Thanks Walt

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
JanZ-what reels do you use for salmon? I tried a tekota linecounter but it fell apart.
Thanks

Posts: 766 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the late reply, I troll with deep six divers so I prefer a reel with a little lower gearing which allows you to have a bit more pulling power.

I have a pair of the old Daiwa sealine 50's that I loaded up with 50 pound mono and put a "Topshot" of 200 yds of 65 pound Power Pro on top of it. Yeah I know that's bassackwards but the mono is just filler so I don't loose the spool diameter.

These reels are old school but upgraded with greased smoothies and new bearings and they are perfect for my type of fishing. And also darn near bullet proof too.

If you are fishing off a down rigger you can use just about any reel from a spinner to conventional. A lot of guys use the Abu Ambasadures but I don't know how well they last.

And some here that are still stuck in the fifties swear by the venerable Penn 209 for salmon fishing.

Were it me and I was fishing a downrigger I'd probably just fish my Seeker black steel 196-7 and either a Newell 220 or a 229 with 40-65# power pro and a short mono leader.

Just a word of advice, if you do go Newell slap in a set of properly greased HT-100's, they make a world of difference in the drags.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post