CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Northeast Atlantic Reports    Gambler 10/30/31 Hudson Canyon
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gambler 10/30/31 Hudson Canyon
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted
The Gambler got back out Monday night to good weather conditions . Nothing much happening until after dawn . Got a pick going and ended up with 20 LFT to 50lbs and one nice YFT . The fish are still around and Dines accounted for most of the fish . Hopefully we will get a couple of more trips in if there's enough interest .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
Picture of DEE=THUNNUS
posted Hide Post
Hey pedro did you get one on the avet ?

Posts: 36 | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
No I didn't know if I was fishing until a couple of hours before we shoved off . It was the 4/0 and the Kunan rod that did the deed .I may get a shot at using it on the 6/7th trip or on a Giant Hunt with Drywall Bob on the 14th on the Thumper.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Where can i buy a fish strecher?That blue was 13 pounds though.Thanks for the tip about this site.

Posts: 100 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
1/2"short Striper with the tail pinched is tough dude ! I could have stomped it and got another 1/4th" but it still would have been short . That was one fat bass !!! Hopefully by next Sunday the Bass will cooperate . Did you take the lead in your Clubs Bluefish pool ? What was in the stomach ? Rainfish or Peanut Bunker ?

Captain
posted Hide Post
stomach had peanuts in it,yea it took the lead by 2 lbs.I cant wait for the big ones to start takeing the white crocks,hopefully sunday gets better, it should.I'll be there.How do you like the avet reels compared to the penns?I'm in the market for a universal big game reel for makos and tuna,just not to sure witch way to go.

2nd Ticket
Picture of DEE=THUNNUS
posted Hide Post
Hey pedro sorry i missed you on sunday been sick as a dog for a few days how was the fishing on sunday if i may add my 2cents Russel you wont go wrong with the avet i think the 50 is a bit overkill for the tuna we run into most of the time a good mid ground might be the pro 30 wide tons of drag for the makos and not to heavy for the tuna at the canyons i have a exw30 and that thing is a winch i have never been able to beatup on a tuna so quickly

Posts: 36 | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I like the avet,I wish finding a real was like testing driving a car,if I didnt like it I could return it.What is the line capacity on the 30 wide?I wanted to go 600 of 80lb.I was also looking at the shimano tiagra extra wide.I'm mainly going to do alot of shark fishing but I want to kill 2 birds with one stone,without under sizeing or over sizeing

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Well the weather kept us in port again and it looks like there will be no more tuna trips this season .D Man I hope you are feeling better . I put your coat on top of the freezer in the shed in case you fish Saturday .I'm working again Sunday .

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Russel , glad to hear about you taking the lead . Peanuts are a good sign . Hope that this weather gets the Stripers stirred up . Dee's Avet is a winch and I've never seen him whip fish so quick . Two speed is the way to go . I have the Avet 4/0 2 speed with 100yds of 50lb and 300yds of Izorline backing . Only caught a big Mahi on it so far . I'll be trading out the 50 topshot for 80 for next weeks giant hunt . Hope to find a Bluefin around a buck Fifty to break her in properly . See you Sunday .
peanuts are

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Russell , You would probably get more bang for your buck going with Avet or Penn rather than going Shimano . I had trouble with a Tiagra a few trips ago where the drag wouldn't ingage with a fish on mind you . After I thought I fixed it by adjusting the drag the customer quickly got the YFT to Color only to have the drag seize !!! Kapow !!! I gave him my 6/0 and he got back in the fight . Killed two on it no drag problems 1 YFt and 1 LFT . I caught a nice BFT on Drywall Bobs Int.16 2 speed and it worked like a charm . I can bring a couple of reel's down and let you play with them Sunday . My Avet and a Int.30 narrow I just got if this will help .

Captain
posted Hide Post
yea I'd like to check them out,I like to hear the feedback too,I went to a few diff places and I hear all diff stuff.I think I'm going to go with the avet,I defintly dont want to spend less for another wall hanger that I never pick up.Part two is going to be rod....

Captain
posted Hide Post
how did you guys make out today with the stripers,I saw rain in the forecast for today so I decided to stay in,and I just picked up a 22' center console,so It was a little tite this week.But i'll see you next sunday,wheather permitting,how did they make out on the canyon run?

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Russell , we only had 7 show up not enough to go. the last Tuna trip got cancelled . Took Grandson out on the Dauntless since we were down there .Chris caught 2 keeper Seabass and a couple of Lings . I caught a dozen Lings and a few short Seabass . One rental rod caught a keeper Striper on a clam . The weather held till around noon . Just foggy with no wind to speak of . It rained the rest of the trip but was quite tolerable . Capt. Willy is amazing setting both picks and hauling them so fast . I'll bring the rods back down Sunday for you to play with .

Captain
posted Hide Post
That sounds good,this comming sunday looks like its going to be a nice one.hopefully enough people show up...