CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Northeast Atlantic Reports    Gambler Hudson Canyon 10/21-22
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gambler Hudson Canyon 10/21-22
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted
We managed to get out Sat.night/Sunday between Gails with Dee and 23 other eager fishermen . The ride out was bumpy . We wallowed in a following sea . We were South of the Fleet by ourselves . We had our first real runoff around 2:00 am as the wind layed down . We put an 80lb Swordie in the box . The first YFT hit the deck around 4:00 am after we dealt with a pesky Blueshark that had sawed off four or five leaders. We hammered down the drag on a 6/0 and railed him until he broke off . Magic time came and the bite was on . We kept a pick going till time to head for home . We gaffed the last YFT as the pick was being pulled . We had a bumpy ride the last 40 miles but all is good when you have 39 tuna and a swordie in the box . Dee got one nice LFT and one YFT on his Avet Ex4/0 wide . What a Winch !!! WE did hook some jig fish on hammered diamonds/Butterfly jigs but the bait to go with was Sardines . The fish were 50/50 Yft/Lft between 35 and 70lbs . 80lb was getting bit but the 40 flatline was happening . We hope to get out Thursday Night/Friday as these gails are keeping us in port. I might get to fish this trip and have the night off . I still have to break in my Blue EX 4/0 even though my 6/0 has killed 6 fish for customers in the last two trips.

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
Picture of DEE=THUNNUS
posted Hide Post
Good to fish with you again pedro as lumpy as it was that night i thought i was going home without a tuna, i will hopefully see you again this sat if the weather holds up the avet is now my favorite reel hands down its almost not fair to the fish using that thing remeber avet reels = fresh sushi mmmmmmm sushi

Posts: 36 | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
Picture of DEE=THUNNUS
posted Hide Post
Hey pedro i left my black hooded work jacket on the boat sat it was hanging on the bulkhead door in the bunk room if found please leave it in the shed for me thanks.

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
No problemo dude . I'll call Stash and have him hold it for you .

2nd Ticket
Picture of DEE=THUNNUS
posted Hide Post
Well pedro it looks bad for sat night i hope i can get out there one more time while the fish are around

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Sorry the weather didn't cooperate .I put your coat in my truck . I did catch a LFT on Thursday/Friday . We had 13 Lft and released one small Swordie . It was brutally cold till dawn . We moved and put her on a drift and hooked up on the iron immediatly . Butterfly/hammered were working with Sardines the bait of choice . I flatlined mine on a Dine .

2nd Ticket
Picture of DEE=THUNNUS
posted Hide Post
Thank's pedro that sounds like tough sledding with the cold what was the water temp out there ? did you break in the avet or was it on the 6/0 i will prob see you sat for stripers if the weather holds up

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
I'm working on Sunday's Striper trip . Could you come down on Sunday instead ?

2nd Ticket
Picture of DEE=THUNNUS
posted Hide Post
Yeah thats cool i will see you on sunday

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
PEDRO & DEE,
Your Rt. Coast adventures are of great interest. Keep posting so we can learn what you guys do different that is successful.

From your post is sounds like you fish all night long. That is just not done on any of the short 2-3 day trips I have been on. There is no rule against it but it is not encouaged because of the the safty factor. May have to try getting up at 4am and give it a shot. If you have any tips on pre-dawn techniques it would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work.

Walt

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
Picture of DEE=THUNNUS
posted Hide Post
Yeah it seems we do a lot of things diff but the boat is well lit for night fishing there is always a mate up anyway to keep the chunk line going this time of year it's very hit or miss on the night bite we get the tuna that run through a couple at a time but things get going about 1 hour before sunrise even if you slept all night you better get up and put some bait in the water or start jigging the last trip we got the bulk of our catch after sun up

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Walt , It's differant out here . Our chunk season runs from mid-Sep. till the warm water leaves We run a lot of 6:00 pm to 6:00 pm trips . We travel 70 to 120 miles and are are generally fishing the chunks around midnight to 2:00 am . We can't really tell when the fish will pass through so I fish from start to finish . If I had to pick a time to fish it would be the three hours before sunrise and the the next couple after . We don't have live bait unless we catch it at the grounds . This year we have caught plenty of live Squid on Yo Zuri birds . Butterfish /Sardines are the deadbaits of choice . Hammered Diamond Jigs and Butterfly jigs worked at the depth that we are reading fish have accounted for quite a few fish . We sort of Yo Yo . We have also caught a few on Salas/Ironman/Raider jigs . We encounter a lot of fish in the 40 to 120 ft. depth range . 80lb test with 3 to 6 oz lead , a swivel , 6' leader of floro or mono topped off with a 2/0 to 6/0 j or circle hook is standard . though we do go down in line size during the day . YFT/Eyes are better night biters than LFT's . When the water gets cooler the YFT's leave .

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Another thought , When we chunk we don't generally troll to find fish we are anchored/drifting around temp.breaks/bait readings around the 100 fthm line at the canyons. Out West we would troll from graylight to after dusk and dead drift at night unless we were traveling . When we anchored around Islands we could catch all night but I did my best jigging before and into the magic time .

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Pedro & Dee,

Chunk Season …. 6pm to 6pm Trips. Boy do we have a lot to learn. LOL. We feel lucky if the 2 day boat puts out a chum line, defined as an occasional tid bit the size of your thumb nail and some sardines. (dead or alive) Utter the words “6pm to 6pm” and you will only solicit blank stares.

But we do have a great live bait fishery out here where the boat will carry 20 or more scoops of live bait in the tank. And the trips are almost always successful. Two day and under trips are lucky to see anything over 30 lbs.. Your fishery is much closer to shore and the average size is larger. We each have our pluses.

You have given me the incentive to try fishing in what we all call the PRIME TIME, starting 3 hrs before sunrise. Another important point that was made is dropping down 40 -120 feet. There is a tendency for West Coasters, on the shorter trips, to stay in the upper 20ft. of the water column unless specifically bottom fishing. Have read that 80 ft. is a good starting point and working up and dn from there.

The 2.5 day trips just drift all night long till sunrise so on the next trip I will be the pre dawn pioneer. I do know on thing for sure , there is nothing like a 30lb’er flopping and thumping on the deck to raise the troops out of their slumber.

One more thing, where do I down load the instruction manual for the “Sort of Yo Yo” technique that is used?? (could’nt resist)

Good reports guys, keep it up.

Walt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walt,

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Walt , sort of Yo Yo is getting the jig down to the area that you are trying to fish and hard pulling on the rod to get the max lift on the jig and letting it fall back . I use at least an 8'rod . I like to keep as little slack in the line as possible as we get bit on the fall most of the time . When the line is straight up and down I give it a few more pulls and turn the handle once or twice and lift again working the jig up the water column . I always jig on the up current side of the boat and cast out as far as I can jigging it as it comes to the boat . We can't overhand cast here so you have the advantage of being able to cast further .