New
Find
Notify
Tools

monster fluke
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
looks like the fishing is heating up. one of my coworkers fishes out of tuckerton, nj, and on sunday (6/24) boated a 9.5 lb doormat. squid and minnow were the bait on a simple bottom rig with a 12" leader. no teaser, just two red beads.
all i can say is im jealous, and i am jonesing to go fishing.
what a fish of a lifetime.
unfortunately i dont have any pics to show, but it was freakin huge. made my 5 lbers look like shorts.

Posts: 22 | Registered: 25 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Any keeper at 17" is nice and five lbers are chunks . Since the season is shortened we won't see those mid October slobs .The AFC Fs us again . You will get your shot as the Fluke population increases more big fish will be around . Unfortunatly a lot of partyboats that made their living Fluking will have gone broke .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
Picture of rusty668
posted Hide Post
you think its bad in nj, try 19 1/2" here in ny.. thanks like a 6lb fish. but i guess its good for the long run

commercial fishing is not a crime

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
its all b/s,there's more fluke then they think,they said there isnt much spawning in the bay,but i cast netted 100 baby's on one shot last week.They should find some use for dogfish before they change more regulations.

Posts: 100 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
Picture of rusty668
posted Hide Post
totally agree. i don't think that its poor management, i think its poor observation

commercial fishing is not a crime

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
speaking of partyboats going out of business, im amazed the one that i go on out of fortescue (bonanza 11) didnt raise its price this year, considering the cost of fuel etc. its gotta be killer. and the price of gas has to be killing them too customer wise, as i didnt see to many full boats out there either.

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Our Pensi crowd has been down the last couple of years . We used to have at least 5 or 6 in the lot before 5:30pm on Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights . We cut out the Thursday night trips due to lack of interest . We have cut back , the Queen Mary doesn't sail nights any more unless it's a charter . We have a hard time sailing short due to the fuel prices .

Captain
posted Hide Post
Wait. Please pardon my ignorance. Isnt a Fluke a Tapeworm? Are you guys catching large X-files type tapeworms in the water there? I don't remember that stuff when I lived back east?

And Ol Pedro. The gas prices Suk here where i'm at too. I used to be able to fill up my boat for about 100 bucks now its about 150. It sucks having to ask my guest to fork out more money for fuel. I feel its rude if i need to ask since i pick and chose the passengers.

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 142 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Iggy , a fluke is a worm but it is also a name for Summer Flounder out here .Our Partyboat will sail with 12 fares and that is almost the break even point . I agree that it is rude to ask for help with fuel from guests on your personal watercraft . It is also rude of the guests to not offer to help defray the costs on the trip . Heck at least spring for the bait/food/beverages and help wash the boat when you get back.

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
i subscribe to a few fishing reports, and heres a nice one i got the other day: what a hog!!

Date: July 3, 2007 12:34 PM
Posted by: rod dropper
Method: Boat

Check out this 15 pound 8 ounce fluke that my wife caught yesterday (July 2) in the terminal channel. 35 inches long and 29 around.