Find
Notify
Tools

Two Stripers in the box
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted
Sunday Morning saw only 16 fares on the Gambler out of Pt. Pleasant N.J. so I jumped on rather than going back home to a warm bed . Capt. Mike pointed us North and off we went towards Sandy Hook under overcast skies and temps in the 40's We saw very little life until we got around the Hook . Capt. Mike headed for a pile of sitting birds when the depthfinder lit up with Stripers stacked from the bottom to around 15 ft from the surface. I missed one on my first cast and never got in a second for the first ten minutes as most of the rods on the port side were hooked up . John and Mike had their hands full netting fish so Brian and I jumped in the fray . John was on one fish to my right and I took the customer next to him . My customer had a double and the lower fish was a keeper . I netted the teaser fish and John netted both his fish and my bottom fish . Two keepers and one around 26" . When the dust settled the boat had around 8 keepers and at least 20 shorts fron 14 to 27 1/2" . We worked the area fishing readings as the birds were not doing much . I scratched a 28"bass on a 5 oz. Croc and dropped a couple of others . We moved inshore and found some birds working and stayed with them most of the day . I switched to an Iron Man 5 Chrome with a single hook and added a 30" bass to my tote . The bass had the jig deep in it's throat and bit during a pause in a quick crank retrieve . We ended up with around 20 keepers and released at least 125 shorts . The pool winner was 14 lbs.

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
Picture of Caviar
posted Hide Post
Went out sunday off IBSP, only managed to jig up a bunch of overstuffed shorts. They were gorging themselves on rainfish. Loking at the water, I thought that it was raining and I was'nt getting wet.
Plenty of the dreaded spiny Dogfish too.
By the way, those Crocs that you recommended last year have really worked well this fall. Seems like the bigger fish single them out over the narrow profile of the AVA etc.

Posts: 43 | Registered: 21 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Cav , We haven't been going down your way too much this season . I hope that you get your cow this year . Surf fishing should kick A#$% this Spring .

2nd Ticket
Picture of Caviar
posted Hide Post
Pedro... Whats happening with our fluke? I guess we will find out manana.

2nd Ticket
Picture of Caviar
posted Hide Post
Took a short ride on Wed., a couple miles north of Barnegat Inlet 35' of water plenty of bass on the Croc w/teaser an Avas. No Keepers anything going on up north?

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Still lots of shorts up north . We went South to the piers/park Saturday . I managed to get six in the last 2 drifts quickcranking with one that kept around 28 1/2" . The wind was brutal going home .

2nd Ticket
Picture of DEE=THUNNUS
posted Hide Post
Hey pedro are you working sat?

Posts: 36 | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Not sure as of yet .I'm planning on Sunday and New Years day . We had three show upon the 23rd in that wind/rain . Weather has been tough . TheBass are still on the chew if you can get out .

2nd Ticket
Picture of Caviar
posted Hide Post
Pedro .. Ithink I saw those fabric squid jigs That you were looking for at Harry's Army and Navy