Find
Notify
Tools

Gambler 2 day 10/7-10/9
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted
Heading out at 12:00 Sunday for a 2 day . Hope to have pics . They got 33 YFT 60-90 lbs,1 60 lb Longfin , 1 Sword , 1 Wahoo , and a lot of Tilefish/Hake/Pollock on the last 2 day .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Here's the only pic that I have from the first 2 day .

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Just got back from 2 trips . Worked Friday Night/Saturday . Caught 7 YFT , 4 LFT's , i Mahi , and one Tile . All Tuna were between 60-85 lbs . Had 12 to color killed 11 . Went right back out Sunday for the 2 day . First night 18 YFT 2 small Swords released (I got 1 YFT around 65 lbs) . Hopped pots for 50+ Mahi . Drifted for 3 BIG Longfin 60 -80 lbs . Anchored up for the night North of the Toms Canyon in 650" of water . Started to pick at them at dusk . Wild Kingdom around the boat all night . Porpoise , Squid ,Sabre fish , and Zoo Plankton discoloring the water . The Porpoise had the bait herded under the boat and circled like Indians . the tuna took advantage and it was bite on . Caught squid for the rest of the customers until I couldn't stand it . Fished 5 min. Hooked up and landed another YFT around 70 lbs . Caught some more squid . Jumped back in the pile was on in a couple of minutes . This one pushed 80 lbs . It was midnight and I was spent due to lack of sleep and the steady rain/25kt winds that had come up . wen in the cabin and ate some cheese with Chris one of the writers for the Fisherman . After we warmed up we descided to try one more time . There were only 10 of the 20 customers left at the rail and only one person didn't have a fish . I found a Jacksmelt on the Butterfish and started to run it out in the slick . I watched the tuna eat the bait off the starboard corner counted to three and slid up the lever on my Avet 2/4 . The circle hook found home and I watched 100 yds of 80 mono and 2/3rds of my braid go out . I pushed it to full and he stalled . Kicked the reel in low , railed the Sabre Stroker , and winched . 15 minutes later I had color in the other corner . Todd and Capt. Greg double gaffed the solid 90 lber . The swell was building and I was soaked with sweat/rain leakage so it was time to sleep . I woke up to us steaming home to quartering 12 ft swells and 30-40 kt winds . It was a bumpy 7 hr ride in . Final tally 74 YFT (60 and up to 90lbs) , 6 LFT , and 50 + Mahi . I will have film/Utube soon . Thank you Mark the Charkster for my Avet . It put 3 of my 4 fish on deck . I'll look into getting an Avet 30 as soon as the Season is over .

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of the ride home