New
Find
Notify
Tools

ol pedro
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
i was wondering what boat you crew on, and out of what harbour. ill be in o.c. first week of august and ill be taking a couple of trips while im there, and im thinking ill give your boat a shot, but as i cant seem to pm you, i gues si have to post my questions here Wink

Posts: 22 | Registered: 25 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Dude , I work on the Gambler out of Point Pleasent , NJ , Friday and Saturday nights Bluefishing . We leave @ 7:30 pm and return around 12:30 am .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I remember as a kid. Maybe 6 years old. My dad would go with his buddies and to get out of the house he'd take me along and leave me in the car while he was away fishing for 6 hours for bluefish. My best friend that day was the crabs and jellyfish. Although i didn't go i had a good time exploring Maryland.

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 140 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
well iggy we got somthing in common besides fishing, i was left at the santa barbra docks too. i was playing with the crabs and the little fisheys, the next time my dad left me there i had enough money to get on the boat.man those are the days.

this was about 30 years ago.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
do you have any wednesday trips? ill be down at the shore from tuesday til friday, and already have a trip chrtered for thursday, but id like to go out wednesday.

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
I'm working that Friday night . We have two Fluke trips going that day but I'll be at one of my other jobs .

Captain
posted Hide Post
Ol Pedro,

I was in your neck of the woods in mid July for work. I was trying to find time to book a trip in the Jersey area but couldn't find time away from work to make it happen. Boy was it humid in the Horsham PA area. I'm still clearing out the moisture from lungs. Wish i could've met ya!

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
hey iggy.
i live in the horsham/hatboro area. right in the rt 611/blair mill road/horsham road triangle.
and yeah, coming back from the shore to pa sucked. humid as crap.

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Iggy , sorry we couldn't wet a line when you were out . The humidity out here is the main thing that I hate . Even at the shore when your out of the breeze it stalkes you . I love heat just not wet heat . It's been so humid that I don't get into my slickers until I scrub the boat/cut fish on the way back in .It's hard to think that we will be bundling up in October on our Tuna Trips . Fall and Spring are nice . I miss the weather and my friends in San Diego but not the crowds.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Derek/ Ol Pedro. Its a pleasure to meet you both! Whats biting over there in those parts around thid time? I remember it was bluefish off the coast of Maryland. I lived in Harrisburg a long time ago. I still consider PA HOME.

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
We are still Fluking until Sep. 10th then we go to 22hr tuna trips . There are Seabass and Porgies around and we will have Bluefish until late November . I'm Second Ticket on a 30 hr. Chunk/Troll trip to the Canyons leaving this Sunday and returning Monday in the pm weather permiting. There are Yft's showing in good #'s ,Swordies , and some Mahis offshore . This will be my first trip to the canyons this year for Tunas . There are also BFT's inshore .

Captain
posted Hide Post
Man, this report has me salivating like Pavlov's dog. What a cornucopia of excellent species!

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Here i go again, going off on tangents. Sorry everyone! But Ol Pedro... what is Fluking and while we're at it what is Chunking?

Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Fluking is drift fishing for for Summer Flounder . We use a bank sinker on the bottom of a three way swivel , a three foot leader baited with a Spearing and a Squid strip . The idea is to keep contact with the bottom and slowly lift and drop the rod feeling for bottom/bite . Chunking is done offshore to catch tuna mostly at night . We cut 10 25lb flats of Butterfish into small chunks and use it for chum . The idea is to throw just enough to draw them to the boat and not over feed them . We use 60 to 80lb tackle and let the bait drift with the chum . We use egg sinkers from 1/4oz to 12oz and sometimes no weight at all depending on what depth the fish are .We use mostly dead bait as the only way to get live bait is to catch it . Whole Butterfish , Sardines , Tinker Mackerel , and Squid are my favorites. We do occasionaly catch Sardines , Tinkers , and Squid when we are chunking .Live Squid are like Tuna Crack !!!