CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Penn 12VSX and TRQ
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penn 12VSX and TRQ
 Login/Join

Pro Staff
Captain
posted
All,
Just returned from American Angler 10-day, phenomenal action on tuna, wahoo, and yellowtail.
Did extensive testing on the upcoming 12VSX 2-speed, and TRQ star-drag prototypes.
The [4] 12VSX's caught a total of 25 yellowfin from 50-113 pounds [incl. 2 of the 3 jackpot fish], and one angler fought a monster that was 140-plus for an hour and lost it on the props.
Most of the use was with 50-pound fluoro topshots and 65-pound braid backing.
I caught [1] 70 pound tuna on a 6-1 ratio TRQ30 and 40 pound topshot, just to see how it worked, and of course lots of wahoo and yellowtail were caught on the dozen or so "demo" TRQ outfits I had available.
The 12VSX is totally ready ready to go "as is", so it should appear first, probably in early January.
Some differing opinions popped up regarding the handles/knobs on the TRQ's, so that may take another round of refinement [I like them].
Mark is usually more "in the loop" than I am regarding exact pricing and delivery dates.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
All I know for sure is that I have orders in house with Penn (for a few months now) and want 'em as soon as they feel confident they've got 'em dialed in. Steve, I'm glad they are doing the fieldwork here on the West Coast. It's nice to see Penn listening, and the guys working hard to make sure they've got it right before hitting the market. So, I'm patient...just want to play with 'em.

Now, if you have any extra gear laying around you'd like exercised. Our 8 day charter on the Red Rooster leaves on the 4th of November....

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1542 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Mark and All,
The word I get is that the 12VSX's, and a least some of the sizes of the new TRQ's are starting to ship out from the Penn warehouse.
Mark, anything definitive from your shipping/receiving guys?

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
We just had an order released from Penn, so I am very hopeful the new reels are among those being shipped. With a bit of luck, they'll be here by the end of this week or early next week. That's the big hope here Steve.

On a side note, we're looking forward to the Fred Hall Show. We'll be participating in both Long Beach and Del Mar this year - since we opened the new shop in SD it made sense to double up this year.

Great Stuff!
Mark

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
THEY'RE HERE!

Great Stuff!
Mark

Penn 12VSX

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Torques too! All models arrived today!!!

Info posted on our Penn International page:
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrp.htm

GS<
MS

TRQ 30

Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Mark and All,
A short preview from the upcoming 2012 Penn catalogue, not due until July at ICAST.
In response to numerous requests, Penn will now be listing the max drag at "Full" with total freespool, in addition to the previously listed max at "Strike" only.
This is in conjunction with updated drag tests that incorporate the "Dura Drag" material.
12VSX- max at Strike- 24 pounds, max at Full- 36 pounds.
16VSX- max at Strike-30 pounds, max at Full- 42 pounds
You'll have to come visit me in the Penn booth at the FHS for the rest!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve Carson,

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Yeikes! Penn is definatly back in the game in a big way. Our booth will be close enough to shot spit wads at you bro. Time to duck and cover!

Great Stuff!
Mark

Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Just to complete the new drag ratings for the most popular CA models, here they are with the max for Strike/Full in pounds.
12VSX 24/36
16VSX 30/42
30VSW 23/30
30VSX 38/50
50VSW 28/45
50VSX 44/56
Not really a CA reel, but the 130VSX is 80/100 [!]
New listing for every single model will be in the 2012 Penn catalogue which will come out at ICAST in July.
Mark, not sure if Barlow/Marso can get you a sneak peek copy.

Consultant
Captain
posted Hide Post
steve, sorry, i still have your reel but i've been swamped with repairs. if you need it back quick, just let me know and i will ship it back to you. otherwise, i would love to go through it first. thanks! alan

Posts: 74 | Registered: 02 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post