CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Okuma Makaira Special Editions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okuma Makaira Special Editions
 Login/Join

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted
A quick heads up for folks regarding the SE version Okuma Makaira reels. These will no doubt receive plenty of press in coming weeks. Basically, we will see two versions of the excellent Makaira reels. There are no changes to the existing reels. But, there will be SE versions of the 8, 10, 15, 20 and of course the existing 30SE. Price on the SE versions will increase by about $30. For that increase folks get a larger size handle knob (8, 10, 15 get the 20 size knob and the 20/30 get the 50 size handle arm and knob. On the 20/30 the low gear will be 1.3:1. A larger change, one that will require the angler to do some thinking whether or not the SE version is right for them concerns the bearings. The SE versions will use "open spool bearings" with TSI-310 oil. This will increase freespool performance considerably, could be 2.5 times greater in that regard. Here's my take on the bearing upgrade, it makes sense for some but not for all. For my own use, I'll probably stick with the shielded bearings given less required maintenance. The existing series of gold reels will be better for those using them as trolling pieces with a lot of hard use (in my opinion). But, for folks focusing on absolue top freespool performance - which is already a strength of the Makaira reels - the open bearings offer some improvement. There are a couple other minor mods, but the above represents the more significant changes for the SE version Makaira reels.

For folks who already own a Makaira, the modifications are also going to be available at Okuma's California service center. Cost for that will be posted later on our site, but ranges from about $40 to $60 depending upon which reel.

We will post images on our website, and of course offer them for sale once inventory arrives. We will also offer folks a chance to get in line early on this introduction. We will have the reels at our booths at the upcoming Fred Hall Show in March - both in Long Beach and Del Mar.

Great Stuff!
Mark

MK 10SE

Posts: 1542 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
One more look at the SE 10, not the larger knob.

Great Stuff!
Mark

MK 10II SE

Consultant
Captain
posted Hide Post
you know, mark, this whole thing with okuma has been a blast to watch. you are aware, i'm sure, that i always recommend open spool bearings. it's been my contention that open bearings last longer. salt water can certainly get into an open bearing, but it can also get out. when salt water enters a shielded bearing, it's stuck and the bearing fails. as for the tsi 301, i don't know if you've had a chance to play with it, but i've been very happy with it. the makaira 10's that i fished with 2 years ago are still spinning great and they were serviced just that once.

the other thing that okuma is going to do is pack all the non-spool bearings with grease. i think that will be a big help as well. the down side is that you will feel resistance when you crank the handle. when i was discussing this with okuma, i emphasized that this is a FEATURE, not a problem. fully packed bearings can still rust, but it should take much longer. and lastly, the big handle grips. i've been using big grips on little reels for a long time. why use a handle grip that's the size of a peanut?

because of all of this, i would call the special edition makaira the only reel that i would fish with absolute confidence, straight out of the box. like i said, it's been fun to watch. alan

Posts: 74 | Registered: 02 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Hi Alan, I see two different audiences with open verses shielded appealing to different folks based upon application and fishing style. So, I'm in agreement with you that the bearings will have their strengths but I'll support the other style for most folks that are less service oriented. Frankly, these darn things spun so well, whether open or shielded made no difference. The trick will be the lubrication they are going to. That may end my reservations, but time will tell. My feelings are partially based upon Avet's error in using the open bearings initially (and worse yet, dry). But, that's another tale.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Consultant
Captain
posted Hide Post
avet used sealed bearings at the beginning. the "open" part of the avet was the drag chamber. they had even recommended that reels be totally submerged for cleaning when these reels first came out. remember that> well, after having so many spool bearings fail, they changed that recommendation and actually went to spool bearings that were open on the inside and shielded on the outside. but that only worked "halfway."

Consultant
Captain
posted Hide Post
also, that tsi 301 is absolutely amazing stuff. the solvent attacks plastic after a few weeks, so you have to keep it in the metal can, or just use tsi 321, which is pure lubricant without a solvent.

at the last fred hall show, i asked cal sheets what he was using. it said it was pure "additive" and then that rascal ditched the rest of my question. i THINK he is using tsi 321. he's getting cagey in his old age. not like me. i just get grumpy! Big Grin

Captain
posted Hide Post
Great gear, new stuff. But we need fish, we need boat trips. This is great for Long Range, bad times for local trips. Gear is great , but sitting at home in the garage is not seeing "THE BIG PICTURE!!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Hi Chark,

I can't use the private message function so have to resort to posting here. I tried the email function on the main page to contact one of your support staff but it won't either.

I am interested in the SE makaira but I have a couple of shipping questions need to be clarified before I push the button. Possible to provide me with your or support staff email contact so I can get in touch with my questions? I am located outside of US.

Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Hi knht. The email feature may not work properly unless you have Microsoft Outlook set up on your computer as your default mail program I think.

Anyway, Mark (Chark) is going to be away for a few days. To help answer your question regarding shipping, you can try emailing support-1@charkbait.com for assistance. However, it may be faster if you call and ask your questions. Try calling Mon - Fri, 9am to 5pm and ask for either Paul or Tom. The best number to try is: 1-877-424-2751.

Hope this helps!

- Mike

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
You can also Skype me Monday. Skype address posted at bottom of our websites pages.

Great Stuff!
Mark