Find
Notify
Tools

Hoo hooks
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted
I'm getting things together for the Jan '08 15 day trip and I'm confused....well more confused than "normal".

I have some Gamakatsu light wire "Live Bait" hooks and some Owner "Flyliner" hooks that I like. The 2/0 Gami are about the same size as 1/0 Owners but a bit lighter in wire size. Has anyone had problems with Gami light wire hooks straightening out?

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I lost 2 fish in the last 2 days on e'm (Gama lightwire) They were not bent out but since thats NEVER happened before,I am going back to circle's. Also watch out for the fishtrap trebles they will/did bend out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mnrd55,

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
lite wire on long range, your asking for it keta.

go gorilla or 7691 for tunas.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Last year on the 10-day I used ringed Owner super matu and gorilla hooks when throwing bait. No problems with the hooks other than they seemed a bit heavy for the bait. So, this year I was planning to try some Owner ringed flyliners (2/0).

Any problems with Owner flyliners in this size on tuna?

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with those, although I can survive without the ring. Though some swear by them, (usually salespeople) many on longrange I meet see it as simply added expense.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
mnrd55,
I like circle hooks but haven't tried them on wahoo....yet.
I was given several pro packs of Owner hooks (Mutus, Super Mutus, Flyliners and Gorillas) in the right size for sardines and mackerel, what size circle hooks are you using for wahoo? 2/0 Mutus looks like they might be too big for sardines and too small for maks, I'm thinking 1/0 for sardine and 3/0 or 4/0 for makerel.

I'll also pick up some heavy wire Gami's and give them a try.

On the last 15 day trip the rainbow runner and school YFY were thick and they took more of my baits than the hoo and I went through lots of leaders and hooks. I'm trying to cut my hook expense down a bit this trip to leave more money available to tip the crew. I do not want to take hooks that "fail" though.

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
SIZE OF BAIT AND SIZE OF FISH DO MATTER. IN THE BACK OF MY MIND , WHEN YOU SAID FLYLINE HOOKS ON LONG RANGE , IM THINKING 200 PLUS TUNAS.

SORRY FOR JUMPING THE GUNS. FLYLINERS ARE GREAT FOR MANY SPECIES, JUST BE CARFULL IF THE BIG BOYS SHOW UP.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks, MNRD55 and Dodoman!

I meant to specify the usually 100# and smaller YFT that show at the Stones. I did use 10/0 to 12/0 hooks for chunking, and eagerly await the need for them with fly lined bait!

Appreciate the feedback on the Owner 2/0 ringed flyliners, guys.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
There was a recent discussion on this topic recently on BD and Allcoast might want to do a search there also.

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/range-chit-chat/76809...ks-ring-no-ring.html

Looks like Mustad 94150's are popular and I have plenty of them in sizes from 1 to 9/0.

So.....what else do I "need" to get so Mark can pay for his new family? I'm sure I'll figure out something.