CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Hooks for Rock Cod Rigs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hooks for Rock Cod Rigs
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
So far its been a good winter for reds and sheephead in San Diego waters and Im looking to put together some of my own rock cod rigs. Could you give me some advise as to what are some good hooks to use and what might be some good hook options for lingcod? Also Im planning on using flurocarbon instead of mono, any potential problems with that?

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I really like circle hooks for rock fish, something about size 3/0 or so -- but circle hook sizes are not standard so make sure you get what you like. As for flurocarbon: I'm not sure how much it matters if you are fishing very deep. Many people up here use heavy Dacron braid for halibut leaders -- all of the commercial guys do -- and more than a few rockfish hit on halibut rigs.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
For rockfish and inshore stuff I like to go with less expensive hooks because for the most part your not looking at long battles with hard charging fish. Mustad offers some good options for this type of fishing IMO. Some like to use circles for rockfish as they say the fish don't spin off the hook as easily when reeling up but I normally go with J hooks in the 3/0 to 5/0 range.

As far as making up rockfish rigs before hand are you looking to tie some shrimp flies? If you are making these setups and tying them beforehand would be nice. If not I really see no need to make them beforehand as we can only use two hooks in our ganions here in Cal. It is easy and fast to tie either two dropper loops or two surgeons loops in line and bam your ready to fish. As far as fluorocarbon goes you could use it but rockfish are not line shy when the current is moving and they are feeding. Snags and some gnarly tangles are part of rockfishing especially if your fishing on open party boats so I don't want to use my fluoro on fish that aren't line shy and save it for other applications.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted Hide Post
Most of the guys we help up here at the HB store use the Kirby EZ baiter hooks. Kind of a long shank j hook with an offset hook point to it. Think they run about 18cents a piece. #6 is the most popular size. Mustad 2330DT. Not sure if they are online or not but you can call us and we can do a phone order for you and ship them down or transfer some to the Sand diego store for you.

Personaly I use the LeadMaster shrimp fly rigs.

As for flouro, unless your using your rigs for fishing lings I'd go 40# mono. For lings I like flouro as it handles knicks and cuts better than mono does and you need that fishing the lings.

Good luck and hope the info helps,
B

Posts: 172 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snags and some gnarly tangles are part of rockfishing especially if your fishing on open party boats so I don't want to use my fluoro on fish that aren't line shy and save it for other applications.

This could be nice thing because I especially like fishing on open party boats!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 20 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Hi Dominic. I think we took care of this yesterday when you were in the shop, haha. But just in case we didn't, UnReel's advice (Beta) is pretty solid.

I think we set you up with some standard Mustad Kirby long-shank hooks (#2330 DT). These are ideal, as are the Mustad EZ Baiter hooks (#39977). The EZ Baiter hooks are nice because they are a semi-circle design and I think having the inward point helps when reeling in spinning fish from 300 feet down.

I usually fish mono leaders but Beta's right about the fluoro being a bit more abrasion resistant. The only downside is that it's more expensive than mono.

The Leadmasters pre-tied rock rod rigs are ideal, but if you want to go custom, just let me know and I can tie up whatever you want.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post