CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    #60 JB hollow or power pro
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

#60 JB hollow or power pro
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
i want a new line for deep water jigging. i m deciding between JB hollow #60 and powerpro #65. Which one is rounder and which one is softer? i wanna put it in Boss270 is it too heavy for the reel?

Posts: 16 | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
The JB is soft as cotton, but unless you are going to splice, why not get Izor solid?

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
GT,

What pound of topshot are you going to use?

JB being hollo is more flat than round and much softer (to the touch) than Power Pro.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
i ll use about 10ft of #80 or #100 fluoro.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
GT.

Thats a pretty small reel to use as a 60lb setup. I would lean more towards a 870 or a even better match would be a 665 IMO.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of crown victoria
posted Hide Post
That's just heavy line, the drag is able to handle these 20lb. rockfish right?. I BAJAb SPECIALED so much that I forgot about thinking "IS THIS THE RIGHT REEL?" a long time ago, good price for true power.

Posts: 117 | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
For deep water jigging use Izor 60 solid if thats the # you want,it will get down there faster than hollow,plus its way cheaper.
A friends got a 500yrd spool for $40 if you want it.
I would go with 665 single speed,4/1 ratio a bigger spool than the 270/870 means you can wind up more line, faster too.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
For deep halibut I use 65lb PP for everything else in that weight range I use JB hollow.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
In this case the main advantage of using hollow vs solid would be splice-ability.

Say you gets a frayed area a 100 ft into the spool. With HC you can cut it out and splice it up. With solid you just lost 100' offen da spool.

Get Bent

Posts: 77 | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post