CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    40lb Jig Stick
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40lb Jig Stick
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
Thanks for all the help on a 40lb reel, i made up my mind on that one now I need some advise on a good rod to throw Iron. Im not too sure what is the best kind of rod as far as glass, graphite, or a mix or even what is the best action. I know I only want an 8 footer but other than that im wide open. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Which reel?

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I've pretty much decided on the Penn Fathom 25. For the price it seems like a lot of reel and a great bargain. I'm a big Avet fan but like everyone else money is tight so it made the decision a little easier. Also I haven't fish anything new from Penn since I bought a 501 back in the eighties, so I'm really anxious to fish their new products.

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Seeker pinhead series?

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Mark is carrying the new Penn Bluewater Carnage series rods; the CARBW800M is what we used quite a bit during the field-test period with that reel.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Hi Nijolo. Steve's on the money with the Penn CARBW800M recommendation. For an 8' 40# jig rod, there are also a few others to consider. My first choice might be a Calstar WC 6480 or Seeker 6480 (either in the Classic Series, Black Steel or Super Seeker). The new Pinhead D-8 by Seeker is a good choice, but 40# might be pushing it on that rod (it's better suited for 30# in my opinion).

A Calstar Grafighter 800M is a good choice too. I definitely recommend coming in and pulling on a few of 'em to get a better idea.

Hope this helps!

- Mike

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Calstar 6480 Seeker 6480 is a bit light, but a great all around 30# stick!

Posts: 5 | Registered: 11 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Be careful Mikey - when you say come on in and pull on a few, well, that's not really allowed. I mean, yea, someone can grab the tip with their hand and kinda, sorta simulate what 10, or 15 or 20lbs of drag might feel like...

I passed on a few "premium" rod purchases (UC Customs) recently because it's tough to spend $400 if you can't slap a reel on it and get a true feel for the rod. I've got too many rods sitting in the rack that never would have been purchased had I been able to feel them at their rated drag. Never again...

Makes a lot more sense to load it up and get a feel for the sweet spot and what pushing to max might feel like on the stick. The limited number of folks shopping in the $400 and up range aren't going to damage or wear out any rods on the floor. They will however, leave the shop knowing they made the right purchase.

I'm just sayin'....

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
With Calstar and Seeker you know you are getting the best but given your choice in reels it seems your budget may be below those. I am looking for a 30-40lb jig & bait stick to go with my new Accurate 600X narrow. I would check out what the Charkbait staff recommends in your price range. They know their stuff.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
when your in checking out rods pull on the calstar 800 H, have used same for 8 long range trips now great for 40-50 jig rod for wajoo and the occasional accidental yellowfin hookup

Posts: 8 | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post