CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    40lb. Test Too Light for Avet HX?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40lb. Test Too Light for Avet HX?
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Hey, I'm new here but luckily I live 5 minutes away from the Charkbait Store in Huntington Beach.

Anywho, I have a somewhat important question. I plan to buy a HX fot overnighters to 1.5 Day trips. I've been hearing that 40-50lb. test is the best for yellowtail and albacore now. However, I'm worried that 40-50lb. test might be too light for the HX.

If 40-50lb. is too light I have to go with the Daiwa Saltiga, btu if I can get more from Avet with the same price from a Saltiga, I want the Avet.

So my question: Is 40lb. test too light for the HX?

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 30 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
If your fishing iron, 50# is good. forty can be used or add a 6'length of 40# floro. and have the utility of both.

Mike

Posts: 85 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I say go for it.....Fill the reel with 80lb spectra so that it leaves room for a 100 yard topshot of 40 lb. Learn to tie a few new knots like the bimini with a worm and you can fish 50 and even 60 lb test on the reel giving yuo a very versitile reel. Bait, yoyo and dropper loop. Its a fantastic reel that is well worth the money. Good luck and good fishing.

Posts: 41 | Registered: 19 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks for the info guys. As for fluoro I plan to put 40yrds or fluoro and tie it to the braid backing by either a reverse albright ot midknot.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 30 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
SanDimas,

The Avet HX is a 50-60lb reel in my book. Sure you could fish 40 on it bit it's a little too much reel for 40lb IMO. Look at a Avet LX or JX in that line class and they do come in two speed also. Thats the way I would go.

P.S. If your that close to the shop swing on in and myself or any of the Charkbait crew would be happy to discuss your needs and most likly show you a couple of options for your needs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SoCalAngler,

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anywho, I have a somewhat important question. I plan to buy a HX fot overnighters to 1.5 Day trips.

Whoa there mighter hunter, would suggest a smaller cannon. On anything 3 days and under a MX is plenty reel. Loaded with 20 lb. Izor XXX, it over test like crazy, the 20 breaks @ 30. And a 20 lb fluoro leader. Have decked 35 lb Albies with no problem with the MX. Only if you are planning on using the HX for a trolling set up would a HX be usable. I take a lot of 1 1/2 to 3 day trips and first started out with a JX, after a year of wenching in everything in sight I determined it was definetely overkill. Have since down sized and am much happier, the sport is back into sport fishing. There are situtations where a JX w/40 is handy. I use it on my jig stick when rocks and or kelp is near by and I am throwing iron or soaking bait for Yellow Tail. Other wise its the MX from dawn to dusk. Can you use a HX for 1 1/2 day'ers , sure, you can also use a supercharged, super magunm, quad drag, 4 speed, backed up with 900 yds of 130lb spectra with a top shot of 20 lb. mono. lol Smiler Smiler

I like SoCals approach. Hit the shop and talk things over.

As always, my opinion for your consideration.
Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I had more fun with my mxj than any reel other than my 270.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
My MX's are my favorite Avet reels.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
check the Chark Bait weekly specials, JX at a great price, $369.00?&spectra for $10 more. Great deal. Check the WON lead page,a 327# YFT on a JX

Mike

Posts: 85 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
SanDamis take a double check on Keta's Pic, thats a vary nice Yellow Tail by anyones standards. Keta is obviously skilled with the iron. Whats he using, the MX on a nice jig stick. He did not choose that rig because it looked pretty. But pretty it is. LOL.

Congrats Keta, beautiful Yellow Tail, nicely done.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
20-30 can be fished with a single speed reel. Look at Chark's clearance for some CHEAP MX's

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
quote:
He did not choose that rig because it looked pretty.

Tom should get most of the blame for my rod choice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Keta,

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of big gabe
posted Hide Post
on 1 1/2 day trips??? i used mine on my 5.5 day trip, fished it with 50lb. on it..if your going like to farnsworth i'd definitly take it...

TEAM
976-TUNA

Posts: 177 | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Big Fish
posted Hide Post
I too think that the HX is way too much reel for a 1.5 day trip. I agree with the other posts that the smaller, yet hightly capeable Avet reels will truly meet your needs and you'll have a blast actully battling the fish. Avet makes reasonable priced, fine reels which are also made in the good 'ol USA and will stand up to many battles over a long time! Good luck!

Posts: 73 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of crown victoria
posted Hide Post
pAY BY THE YARD !!! PUT 15LB ON IT . WHAT ME WORRY ?

Posts: 117 | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post