CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    40lb Reel for casting iron
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40lb Reel for casting iron
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I'm looking to purchase a 40lb class reel for throwing jigs in the near future. I am leaning toward an Avet JX with magic cast control. I know its a little subjective but i was wondering if there is a better choice for the money. The Daiwa saltist looks like it might be a contender and penn seems to putting out some nice new reels as well. The Makira might be out of my price range but maybe the Cedros. Seems like alot of choices and just wanted to get some input before i purchase. Thanks

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Hey Nijolo. Good question...the JX is a great choice for that application as is the Saltist and even the Penn Fathom.

I really like what Penn did with the Fathom, specifically the 25N (personally, I'd back it with some spectra (50# or 65# spectra and top it with 100 yards or so of 40# mono).

For a few bucks less, I'd strongly consider the Daiwa SeaGate series. The entire series runs for $149.99, and is the same reel internally as the Saltist. The only difference is the frame which is a robust graphite instead of the die cast aluminum on the Saltist. It weighs a bit less in this regard too.

All of the reels I mentioned are high speed (6:1 or higher), with the exception of the Avet JX which is available in a lower speed 4.6:1.

All of these reels feature carbon fiber drags and multiple bearings allowing you to make longer, smoother casts and permitting you to really crank down the drag and turn the fish around.

Anyway, I hope this helps at least a little...feel free to stop by the shop and play with any of these reels!

- Mike

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, I did some looking into the Penn Fathom 25N and the more I check it out the more I like it. Seems like bang for the buck it's a real winner. Just a couple of questions as far as comparison. Is it as robust/sturdy a reel as the Avet JX? And does the MC on the Avet have a negative impact on its free spool/casting ability?

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
That Penn 25N size is good for a lot of uses, both iron and bait.
FTH25N- Mid-price, diecast aluminum, excellent value. Cast control if you want it.
TRQ25N- Premium price, machined aluminum, available gear sets can change ratio from 6-1 to 5.4-1 or 4.8-1. Beats everything for pure distance, but no cast control.
SQL25N- Popular price, graphite frame, cast control. Mark will see these at ICAST next month, probably available 9/1.
TRQ25NLD2- Premium price, 2-speed lever drag. Casts even light surface iron like Tady C's extremely well, but no cast control. Mark will see these at ICAST, probably not available until January.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Steve, what no mention of the 113HN? I like mine alot, it preforms that way I think it should or would want it too. I know it is bigger and beefier than the reels mentioned but thats exactly why I like it.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
113HN is a great reel; when the conversation shifts to 50-pound surface iron reels it definitely gets the nod from me.
For 40-pound, you can get by with a smaller profile, and the 25N size is 2 "bumps" smaller, which has its own set of advantages.

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
In your opinion, which is the better casting reel, Penn Fathom or Okuma Cedros? (30 - 40lb casting reel)

Posts: 11 | Registered: 04 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
The Penn Fathom, Torque, and Squall-series reels all share the amazing "Live Spindle" feature.
Fathoms have a centrifuge brake cast control, and Squalls have centrifuge or magnetic cast control [depending on model], while Torques have no cast control.
The Live Spindle gives you the most potential casting distance of any star-drag reel available.
Differing skill levels will require differing amounts of cast control.

Captain
posted Hide Post
IMHO it seems to be apples and oranges. The reels mentioned are single speed, two speed, star drag, lever drag, cast control and not. You really need to figure out your preferences and go from there.

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nijolo:
Thanks Mike, I did some looking into the Penn Fathom 25N and the more I check it out the more I like it. Seems like bang for the buck it's a real winner. Just a couple of questions as far as comparison. Is it as robust/sturdy a reel as the Avet JX? And does the MC on the Avet have a negative impact on its free spool/casting ability?

Hey Dominic. I like the Fathom 25N a lot too (I just wish it was available with a little lower gear ratio, maybe 4.9:1 or so). I think it's plenty sturdy and robust of a reel and comparable to the Avet JX in that regard. The Avet has a machined frame while the Fathom is an anodized aluminum (cast)...The frame might be a bit stronger on the Avet but you're not gonna notice a difference fishing the way you are. I'd only worry about the frame tweaking under heavy drag and lots of pressure from fish approaching 100 pounds or so. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

The MC on the Avet can be detrimental to your casting distance...there's no way to turn it all the way off (the settings are 1 through 5 with 1 being the lightest setting and 5 being the heaviest). It's a trade-off: you sacrifice casting distance for less backlashes and vice versa.

One thing I like about star drags versus lever drags is that you can hammer the drag all the way down and still get excellent freespool and no binding on the handle. You can't do that with a lever drag.

Let me know if you have any more questions - thanks!

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post