CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    The agony of loving your Newells
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The agony of loving your Newells
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
Is there any source of parts other than the useless "Valley Products"?

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
After 50 years of standing in all sorts of weather with a rod in my hand... Pinhead? Indeed.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Not to worry, in time...a few more posts, your status will indeed improve. In reality, Pinhead is not a negative, we've all been there, and with a bit more time at the rail you'll reach deckhand status!

As to Valley, Pinhead status for sure and very doubtful it will ever change. With luck, another party will purchase the firm, and I sincerely hope Norma will be part of that program!!! We'll post more news as it becomes available...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1542 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Consultant
Captain
posted Hide Post
i have a few parts, but not much. send an e-mail is there is something in particular that you need. alan

Posts: 74 | Registered: 02 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
I too have some older P series parts that I've fortunately held on to. I sold/traded a lot of stuff in the past.

Still have some ss clicker sets, ss jack handles, various sleeve washers, bearing cup washers, plate logos, shims for 99 size spools, circlips, various size screws etc. I want to hold on to most of my "P series" bridge sleeves, main gears, spools and posts....just in case.

I also have some graphite parts: handles, reel seats, posts, jack handles, clicker sets etc...no G series handles or posts - they're all gone.

Email me what you need if interested...

Posts: 6 | Registered: 21 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I have a 646 with a broken reel foot. I'm wondering if Tiburon is planning to make a frame and spool for this model. It's still under warranty and have tried to resolve this with Valley Products, have been eating BS for close to two years. I really don't mind paying for parts and hope they at least release the parts they must have on hand. I don't think Valley Products can redeem themselves to Newell owners.

Crew
posted Hide Post
I'm going to email Tib about getting some 600 frames/spools made. Maybe they could make a limited production batch of certain 600 models. I'm wanting a set for a 631. If we get a couple dozen of us contacting Tib...we may get a positive response...ya never know. Cool

The Hawaii folks would probably want some Tib'd 646's.

Give me the dims of your 646 and I'll see if I have one available...just email me.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Correction it's a 631R with a broken reel foot.
Was brand new and broke during drag adjustment.
Sat in the collection for two years before it ever saw a rod. I'll only forgive then if C

Captain
posted Hide Post
Yikes fumble fingers. I'll only forgive them if Chark does.

Crew
posted Hide Post
I presume the R means it was one of the red models??? Didn't know they made any 600's in red.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Yes, the R is red. I'm not sure if they made purple 600 series reels.

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Froggy have you heard of Island Rocket Reels (I think that's the name)? They're were some pics floating around of full metal Newell's (side plates, frames reel seats, custom spools) that they machined. If they are still in business they may be able to make something for your 631. I have a broadbill with a broken reel seat foot. It still works with a clamp but I've been watching ebay for a replacement to pop up.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
You guys amaze me to no end, Live and let live, Have fun and stay busy. Let's do some winding and grinding, tear up those Newells and fix 'em right back up again. I must be not drinking that punch is all I can figure?

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
CV: What can I say...I like vintage stuff. Smiler I've had most of my P series for years, since the 80's....no problems at all with them. I did have one problem with an all graphite model once...I overtightened the reel clamp and it broke.

For now, I'm thinking about "Tibing" out a few Newells just for the heck of it. I really only use a 322 and 332 for 1-3 day trips. For 30# line and up I use other brands. I only use these small Newells for the local alba/YFY/BFT. If I could Tib out a NL 631, I was thinking of using it for a yoyo rig.

Now, when the skipper comes on over the PA saying he's spotted some jumping 75-100 lb BFT, then my little Newells go back in the rack. They've always worked great (for me) for the type of fishing situations I use them for.

The only kool-aid I'm drinking is "vintage". Cool It's all good... Big Grin

Captain
posted Hide Post
CV, I fish all over the country and see Newells on every boat. When I travel I usually have Accurates, Avets, Newells and the misunderstood Stellas. I find each has a specific use.