CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    JX vs. LX vs. HX
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JX vs. LX vs. HX
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
What applications are these three Avet reels best suited for? I am assuming that they are all 2 speeds. I have a JX 2speed already and love it. I bought it for a good overall 40# reel that I hoped would do it all and it will. Why would I want the LX over the JX? Why would I want the HX over the LX?

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
You would'nt.. after the JX I went with Accurates for my heavier reels.
I love my JX though

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I own the JX, LX and HXJ narrow two speeds. Like 'em all. I tend to fish the JX more than my LX. Started with 40# on the JX and 50 on the LX, picked up the HXJ also for 50 with an occasional 60# planned. The standard HX probably would have fit my needs more, and I'll probably still get it or the Baker and put the HXJ into a strict wahoo role. I fish my JX both at 40 and 50 since it's so comfortable to fish. I use the LX with bait almost exclusively and the JX for jigs, bombs as well as some live bait. If I were in your shoes I'd opt for the HX and load on 80# spectra with a topshot of 50-60#. With that you've got your 40 and 50 well covered, and you can bump up the topshots if necessary. Initially I ran 50# spectra on the JX, 65 on the LX and I put 80# on the HXJ. After a season or so I dumped the 50 on the JX and put on 60# JB hollow core. While I loaded 80# on the HXJ I should have put on 65# given line capacity of the narrow version. No doubt I'll switch that over to the standard width HX (once I get it or the Baker) and drop down a notch on the HXJ and use it as a dedicated 50# rig.

Another reel to consider is the Baker. John's doing a dandy job on these reels. They are very strong and robust, and he's done a little fine tuning since he initially came out with 'em making them better in operation. He's got a 2 year performance and service guarantee, will update the reels and service them each year for you at no charge. Worth considering them too in my estimation.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1542 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Mark, as always, I appreciate your insightful comments. I love my JX 2speed. I am planning an 8 day next year on the RRIII and an experienced guy said I needed to add a 50# bait rig. I was leaning to the HX but I kept looking at the LX and just couldn't figure out the real difference in the two. From you comments, the HX would handle the 50 swimmingly well and would add more upward flexibility to my sparse arsenal. The HX will be on my Christmas list unless you come up with a can't turn down special before then.

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Captain
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the HX for 50#. The LX is just a wide JX while the HX is the next level up.

Posts: 164 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Crew
Picture of Tailwalker
posted Hide Post
Outhouse, I won’t try to talk you out of a cool new reel….but I took my JX 2 speed on RRII trip a couple years ago and we got into some really nice Guadalupe Yellowtail. I had 65 lb spectra with a 50 lb topshot on the reel, which I was also using as a bait setup.

While we were fishing closer inshore and line capacity wasn’t as big an issue as drag capacity (those fish were like rocks…really heavy rocks that pulled hard!) I’d think that the JX would be a more than capable open water 50# reel on your upcoming 8 day. That being said, the HX is really nice!!!

Posts: 9 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Tailwalker, you should know that supporting Mark in his business is my life's goal. It is more blessed to give, then receive!

I love my JX 2speed. I know that you can do a LOT with this very strong reel. I had a couple of guys on another site who said they fished with guys that used the JX as a 50# reel and they saw them (2) spooled at Alijos. THese guys just simply ran out of line.

Given that concern, plus my life's goal, I have to buy a new HX. To do other wise would be to deny who I am and what I am about. Mark, I am coming bud!!!

Now all you have to do is run a very special special!

Deckhand
Crew
Picture of Tailwalker
posted Hide Post
Well, enjoy that reel (I'm sure you will)...but after you RR trip please, PLEASE do not write a review on how good it was and how much you love it....'cuz after reading it I know what's coming next....a trip to Charks and charge on my ATM card that I have to explain to my wife...AGAIN! Smiler

Posts: 9 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of slojig
posted Hide Post
Whatever reel you choose, you cant go wrong with an avet. I have two and am trying to sell my kidney to buy more. Good luck

Posts: 62 | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
The JX 6/3 is an excellent 50lb rig. Just finished a 7 day on the Indy and caught yellows up to 32lbs at church rock and had no problem handling them with a short (5 foot) topshot over 65lb spectra, the reel had plenty of drag to stop the fish. My dad (74 years old) laid waist to yellows up to 40lb with the LX 6/3 set up the same way. While the HXJ worked well with the yoyo it is basically for burning bombs and iron. The HX on a 93H casting surface iron with ease and distance simply destroyed the yellows again. My dad really enjoyed fishing the 2 speed reels due to the ease of dropping down into low made it that much eaiser to handle larger fish. We have purchased approximately 27 Avets from Charkbait over the last 2 years and I have to go along with Marks advice on the reels. If you plan on making a reel purchase its best to buy one that will last a life time, I and my father are sold on them. Good luck and good fishing guys!

Posts: 41 | Registered: 19 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post